Discuss RCD Quandary. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

One of my best drunken student party memories , was in a similar situation ,
..I wend out the back door , and wondered what had happened to next door , adjacent properties
part demolished out back , could not tell from front !
Less squatters if house not intact ! Them were the days " squatters rights " .. some aspects of being a landlord have improved , but still a big gamble.

We used to employ a couple of big lads to smash the sanitary fittings, sinks, wash hand basins etc to encourage them to move out, worked most times.

Did not know that Lord Lucan was an unqualified electrician, that would explain his disappearing act being so successful. ?
For many years my nearest neighbours were aristocracy and fairly closely related to our current Monarch.
He was high ranking ex military, was never seen outside their house, but could be frequently seen through the kitchen window, slumped over over the table, with a couple of whiskey bottles to hand.
She, on the other hand, was the nicest, most down to earth person you could ever wish to meet, but extremely well spoken, and exuding pure class. No 'nouveau riche' here; this was the real deal.
Was working in their loft on one occasion, when I came across a scrapbook containing illustrated articles and cuttings, mainly from the Daily Telegraph, covering their wedding, her 'coming out' as a debutante, birth announcements, etc.
About a year after Lucan's disappearance, a man moved into the house with them, remained there for many years, and was every bit as reclusive as the Colonel.

update. gave him an unsat. EICR. he's panicking now, soa 13way BG dual RCD board ordered. fitting Monday.
I wonder if soon we will be able to legitimately say "Do it quick before it's £100 per mandatory AFDD....."

Interesting point

In general I prefer separates when it comes to most things electrical and electronic, not just protective devices for a few different reasons

Obviously when you combine an MCB and an RCD , fault finding can become a little more complicated.
Thrown in an AFD on top of that that with occasional random trips

I may be overthinking it

Then there's the total cost of the combined device if a section fails like rcd trip times

The whole thing is redundant at ~£300

Most of the reason I prefer separates in general for devices and equipment

Last edited:
Interested so I had a look - the photo on eBay is exactly the same as on the CPC/Farnell website (for the part number marked on it) which is just an RCD.
I wouldn't be tempted by the listing! I wonder what you actually get?
CPC price £58 (Inc. vat). Fleabay price £114.
And a lot cheaper again (~£30) if bought from an electrical wholesaler. That's just a bog standard type A RCD.

Interested so I had a look - the photo on eBay is exactly the same as on the CPC/Farnell website (for the part number marked on it) which is just an RCD.
I wouldn't be tempted by the listing! I wonder what you actually get?
CPC price £58 (Inc. vat). Fleabay price £114.

The guy selling that simply combs websites for products they think can be sold at a profit. You place an order and they buy from whatever website and have it sent to you - often they use your details to open an account with the site to cover their tracks and avoid being blacklisted. A lot of it is automated by paying a few ££ for software, so the vendor literally sits back and lets the business run itself - at least they do untill goods aren't as advertised or need to be returned for any reason.

Can't explain how they managed to come up with such an inaccurate description for an RCD as images and text are usually lifted straight from another website.

Wylex already do combined RCBO/AFDD, DP switching and single width. Price is going to make you squeal though:

Where is @Pretty Mouth when you need a bit of banjo to make folk paddle harder?

Reply to RCD Quandary. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock