Discuss RCD Rating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

coatesykid

Can someone please explain to me how the Rating of RCD work because I've read on different forums that you can not exceed the rating of the RCD ie 63A or 80A if that's the case why do C.U like 10 way dual RCD, have a total MCB rating of 218 A if all MCB was used and only 143 total A for the RCD's, surly maximum demand comes into play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please explain to me how the Rating of RCD work because I've read on different forums that you can not exceed the rating of the RCD ie 63A or 80A if that's the case why do C.U like this one

http://www.*************/p/volex-10-way-dual-rcd-split-load-consumer-unit-10-mcbs/54467?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Electrical and Lighting-_-Volex 10-Way Dual RCD Split Load Consumer Unit %26 10 MCBs

have a total MCB rating of 218 A if all MCB was used surly maximum demand comes into play.

You'll get more sensible answers on DIYnot.com than here!

gets worse, my house only has a 63A fuse supplied by DNO, my shower, oven, kettle and microwave on their own take more than that - why has it not blown ?

so why are some sparks telling me I cant use maximum demand for RCD one guy was even telling me you can only have a maximum of 3 MCB of an RCD

why is my question to basic

OK...
the 63 or 80A ratings are the maximum in service current capacity of the device, more than that and they'll start warming up.
The crucial figure on a RCD is the mA value. RCDs are for additional protection to disconnect supply on the event of earth leakage faults.

I know what an RCD does and I've always used maximum demand but when some called professionals have a completely different point of view to mine it makes me question what im doing obviously it would be impossible to protect an installation form earth fault if I didn't use maximum demand

Can someone please explain to me how the Rating of RCD work because I've read on different forums that you can not exceed the rating of the RCD ie 63A or 80A if that's the case why do C.U like 10 way dual RCD, have a total MCB rating of 218 A if all MCB was used and only 143 total A for the RCD's, surly maximum demand comes into play.

In the context of the question, you could think of an RCD as a main switch. Its rating of 63 or 80A is the maximum current that can flow via phase and neutral. The mA rating that follows is related to leakage or fault current that bypass the RCD.

As far as the maximum demand goes. No domestic installation runs at the maximum rating of its combined protective devices.

Reply to RCD Rating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock