Discuss RCD refuses to switch on (up) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm also 99% certain that one of the outgoing neutrals is in the RCD neutral in terminal and the supply neutral is in the bar. [No not having a swift half Tel:D]

I am 100% sure it's a DIY who thinks he knows more than he does. Mind you, he's served his time...…….working in a wholesalers. :rolleyes:
That’s why there’s a 32A mcb in his garage DB, ordered a 16A but wholesalers had none in stock, so they sent a 32A instead!
Anyone else notice that? You order something from wholesaler, it’s not in stock so they send something else instead:mad:

I am 100% sure it's a DIY who thinks he knows more than he does. Mind you, he's served his time...…….working in a wholesalers. :rolleyes:
That’s why there’s a 32A mcb in his garage DB, ordered a 16A but wholesalers had none in stock, so they sent a 32A instead!
Anyone else notice that? You order something from wholesaler, it’s not in stock so they send something else instead:mad:

And they always send you double!

And they always send you double!

Worked for a wholesaler but bought a CU from Screwed fix or Tool station I bet? (Do any wholesalers sell BG?) No testing, poor installation method and we have to guess in the dark to resolve the fault as the bang test failed.

Although to be fair to the OP the wiring in the BG board is neater than some I see :)

I worked for years in electrical wholesalers and understand matters fine.

You clearly don't. Why have you got a 32a MCB in the shed being fed from a 16a one in the house?
Why are you feeding a 32a ring in the shed with 2.5mm cable from the house?
Where is the RCD protection for the cable from the house to the shed?

OK. The RCD would be better at the house end. At the shed you don't need the mini CU. Run the sockets direct as a radial (protected by the 16a MCB in the house). Lights via a switched FCU with a 5 amp fuse.

Insulation resistance test cable from old board to new board, failing that do you have a n-e fault in New wiring? Would explain why it trips with mcbs off

This (a n-e fault) in the shed is almost certainly the cause (in my experience). Maybe on the Fan circuit?

The supply cable should be protected by an RCD at the house end (as I understand it this is a legal requirement for a new external circuit, though some protection is provided by the ELCB - if that has been checked and found to work correctly). The 32A MCB is just nonsence. If you want a separate MCB in the shed, then I would make that one 16A and the one in the house CU as 20A one. I can't see the current set-up being signed off by anybody qualified to do so.

The supply cable should be protected by an RCD at the house end (as I understand it this is a legal requirement for a new external circuit

Not necessarily, it would depend on the installation method and/or the cable. I can't be bothered to scroll back thru the thread now.

I worked for years in electrical wholesalers and understand matters fine.
I reckon I do have a fault, however I cannot understand where. I tripped the in-house mcb and then disconnected the RCD, now when switched up it stays up.
Surely this means the fault is between the cu and the RCD, as I have thought until now, it’s simply a single length of cable within plastic conduit, even through the wall and right into the RCD! Thanks.

How does the cable get from the house to the shed i.e. is that 20mm conduit buried, in the air, on a fence, catenary, what?

You stated the shed CU had a 5 and 16A mcb, it has a 32A and a 6A!

You've got a N-E earth fault, unless you've mixed the neutral wires at the busbar, it's difficult to see what goes where as the shed CU is a mess.

The verification and testing required BEFORE energising would have found that out.

You don't 'understand matters fine', you're dangerous plain and simple of the worst kind. I.e. someone who thinks they know what they're doing, but don't.

Why a 16A radial to the shed then a ring main on a 32A in the shed, wheres the thinking in that?

Also why have you energised before initial verification was carried out?

Anyone mentioned exporting the earth to the shed yet
Correct me if i am wrong but remember a radial is meant to be on a 20a mcb.
The design of this shed installation is not well thought .It is a bad design.

Last edited:
Correct me if i am wrong but remember a radial is meant to be on a 20a mcb.
The design of this shed installation is not well thought .It is a bad design.
No. The protective device relates to the load, cable size and installation method to name but three. Lighting is normally a radial circuit and you wouldn’t stick that on a 20A breaker?

You clearly don't. Why have you got a 32a MCB in the shed being fed from a 16a one in the house?
Why are you feeding a 32a ring in the shed with 2.5mm cable from the house?
Where is the RCD protection for the cable from the house to the shed?

OK. The RCD would be better at the house end. At the shed you don't need the mini CU. Run the sockets direct as a radial (protected by the 16a MCB in the house). Lights via a switched FCU with a 5 amp fuse.
What is wrong with wiring a 32a ring circuit with 2.5mmm T&E??

Reply to RCD refuses to switch on (up) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock