Discuss rcd requirement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

manjit

DIY
Reaction score
Hello just wanted to ask, my friend has done an extention, and new wiring, with new lighting, ring main, my friend has all rcbos in CU, and he has run the wiring, and contected to rcbos, but he has been told that the new wiring, i.e that the extention wiring should be rcd protercted, it dosent matter if each of the circuit is protected with rcbos,
i.e the lighting circuit is protected by rcbo and so is the ring mains and the cooker, does it still need rcd protection.
Any help would be really apprecitaed.

thank you

An RCBO is a type of Residual Current Device (RCD). Who has told 'your friend' of this 'requirement'.
More worryingly, if your friend doesn't understand this, should he have done the wiring installation?

Thank you for your reply, he was told by a professional electrican as he wants it certified, Sorry he has got some knowledge of electrics , as he used be an electrican , but has been out of the game for few years now.
The qulified electrican who is going to give him the ceritification told him that he needs RCD, protection , with rcbos.

@manjit Your friend needs to ensure compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations, paying particular attention to requirements to notify Building Control.

Think of an RCBO as a combined MCB (providing overload protection) and an RCD (providing earth leakage protection) but in a single device.

Is it possible to show a pic of the consumer unit.

Reactions: DPG
Well your friend is OK then - the system has RCD protection.

#1 and #4 are at odds with each other. Has this electrician actually seen the consumer unit.

I may be being sceptical here, but is it you that is actually doing the work, rather than a friend?

Thank you for your reply, he was told by a professional electrican as he wants it certified, Sorry he has got some knowledge of electrics , as he used be an electrican , but has been out of the game for few years now.
The qulified electrican who is going to give him the ceritification told him that he needs RCD, protection , with rcbos.
Well this Electrician who is going to certify the installation ought to throw his tools away cus he doesn't know what he is talking about

Thank you all of you for your help, really appreciate it, no it's not me doing the work, sorry to say.
Yes I can attach pictures of the CU, that have been send to me.

20191019_104730.jpg 20191019_090925.jpg 20191019_090732.jpg

Top job, all circuits bar one have rcd protection by way of rcbos.
[automerge]1571837440[/automerge]
What is circuit 13 identified as.

Last edited:
Thank you, Yes he is waiting for the rcbo to come and then he will replace that one too, so no need of separate RCD in the CU, for the new wiring for the extension, as it gas RCBOs.

What's circuit #3 and is the cable suitably sized? Perhaps it's me, but it looks rather thin, compared to the other cables in 40A RCBOs.

He says it's from solar Pannels, which it protected by an isolater, it's a flex cable

He replied to you very quickly then. Is he there with you now?

He replied to you very quickly then. Is he there with you now?
No he had sent me the pictures and chatting with him on whtsapp
[automerge]1571838901[/automerge]
It might be but I will have to check, if 2.5 then, he will have to reduce the rcbo to 32amps, correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rcd requirement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net