Discuss Rcd, small puff of smoke and then won't test trip. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

beckryl

Hello fella's, here's one for you.
First post from me and I'd like to know any ideas.

I went to a job today where the guy has had a new M2 board installed. Guy previously fitted m2 rcbo (6a) to a lighting circuit (no problem), 1mm live and neutral and earth going off to circuit (no problem).
Only 5 lights on the circuit.
A couple of weeks ago he pressed the test button and a small puff of smoke came from inside the rcbo. Then he reset it and the breaker works only as a switch(maybe as an mcb).
He then called me (a friend) so I today popped over thinking it was a faulty rcbo which wasn't tripping. I replaced the rcbo and pressed the test button and yes there was a small puff of smoke and the rcbo worked only as a switch(mcb?)
So now I'm going to have to go there and do a test etc on the circuit and figure out what has happened. (not my job but the guy has disappeared off the earth). I didn't have my test gear on me so didn't do anything.
I'll go back in the next day or two.
There is a test cert in the property which all looks cool.

Any ideas?????

Did you replace M2 rcbo with another M2 rcbo, maybe a faulty batch. A few years ago i had a run on duff M2 B6 MCB's, i think i put a Wylex in to fix it.

Cheers..........Howard

Just googled M2 RCBO and those look very cheap and tacky, wouldn't be surprised if a fault would be breaking them every time (poor quality arch chamber letting out?)

Had problems with M2 rcbo and rccb's in the past on a job that had 6 M2 boards fitted and I had to go and test, came to the conclusion that they were a bit cheap and nasty.

We had some M2 FCUs at work once. Really crap - we stopped buying them. They looked like they were designed to look like MK stuff - even the box was similar to MK. Daz

Thanks for the answers,
Yes I did replace it with an M2 rcbo (yes they look poor quality) but I replaced M2 into an M2 board. So don't seem to have a choice really.
It was quite an old one tho so I'll take another new one.

With regards to it blowing due to a fault, I was thinking it would just trip. Having worked in the trade for a few years it's a new one on me.
Definitely seems to lean toward faulty rcbo tho I think??????

M2? Aren't they Sh1tty Electricals own brand? If it's anything like the caravan hookups they supplied to a caravan site I worked on once, the internals are like air fix - the click fit not good old glued air fix.

Yes think they are a CEF brand, they do look they are supposed to look like MK, I thought that's what they were at first, the ones I had problems with had all sorts of things go wrong with them I was getting quite baffled by them in the end, vowed never to use again!

I forgot about Proteus, they're seriously dodgy too. Love the way everything's held together with plastic clips. M2 is done in the same typeface as MK to make people think it's as good I think. All the M2 plastic fittings I've used break when you take the polythene wrapping off.

Be nice to hear the outcome though beckryl.

I believe it it. Proteus as well I believe.
Seems proper naughty.
But meets standards!!!
proteus...eugh!!
:sick:

2djz1c6.jpg

Once again an OP goes to a fault and does not bring their test gear!!! This baffles me. Were you planing to fit the new RCBO and push the test button and if that worked walk away happy? No proper testing on it??

Reply to Rcd, small puff of smoke and then won't test trip. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net