Discuss RCD switched fused spurs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Markyd

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone...i remember reading on here not so long ago about rcd switched fused spurs not being allowed for an addition to a circuit that didnt have a rcd as the regs now require that when you have an addition to a circuit the whole circuit must be protected not just the addition,,,could someone point me in the right direction...either on the forum or in the regs Thanks...Mark

531.3.4 and 531.3.6 is where it's at. Happy reading and let me know your thoughts. I have still not sought official clarification on this matter, although it does seem cut and dried as it is worded.

531.3.4 and 531.3.6 is where it's at. Happy reading and let me know your thoughts. I have still not sought official clarification on this matter, although it does seem cut and dried as it is worded.
You are a diamond....thanks

The regs don’t specifically require all circuits to be RCD protected.
They have required all circuits of locations containing baths or showers and socket circuits in Horticultural/Agricultural installations to be RCD protected since 01/07/2008.
They have also required circuits supplying luminaires to be RCD protected since 01/01/2019.

What was also introduced on 01/01/2019 is a list of standards which RCDs must comply with in order for them to be used for additional protection.
RCD FCUs and RCD sockets do not comply with any of the standards on the list.

The regs don’t specifically require all circuits to be RCD protected.
They have required all circuits of locations containing baths or showers and socket circuits in Horticultural/Agricultural installations to be RCD protected since 01/07/2008.
They have also required circuits supplying luminaires to be RCD protected since 01/01/2019.

What was also introduced on 01/01/2019 is a list of standards which RCDs must comply with in order for them to be used for additional protection.
RCD FCUs and RCD sockets do not comply with any of the standards on the list.
Thanks very much.......

So as i see it...a ring final circuit that has no rcd...if an addition is made it now must be rcd protected and using a rcd switched spur is a no no...so the whole circuit needs protection...also the same for a lighting circuit that has an addition.....

So as i see it...a ring final circuit that has no rcd...if an addition is made it now must be rcd protected and using a rcd switched spur is a no no...so the whole circuit needs protection...also the same for a lighting circuit that has an addition.....
Yes, that appears to be the case.
Unless you use an RCD FCU or socket and list it as a departure.

Yes, that appears to be the case.
Unless you use an RCD FCU or socket and list it as a departure.
I'd see that as a sensible approach. The same level of protection and safety has been offered yet the letter of the regs has not been followed exactly.

Reply to RCD switched fused spurs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock