Discuss RCD Test failure question in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The old schedule indicates the consumer unit is dual rcd have they both failed. The two schedules don't tally with each other.
All I know is that it was rated C2 based on the failure to trip... not sure about any further technical details except what is on the report. What would he have to do to correct this fault?

All I know is that it was rated C2 based on the failure to trip... not sure about any further technical details except what is on the report. What would he have to do to correct this fault?
The new schedule just doesn't tally with the original something is not correct. The original is almost certainly correct.

That changes things significantly, the original certificate clearly shows that there are two RCDs. The new report suggests that there is only one.
I seriously doubt that both RCDs have failed, one failure is rare but possible.

I would contact the person who did the report and ask them which of the two RCDs failed, or if it was both. I would also ask them if they tripped when the test button was pressed.

If you can access the property I'd go there and press the test buttons to see if they trip, this does not guarantee that they will trip in the correct time though.

Seeing that original certificate has made me very suspicious of the new report. I can't say anything for sure but it has set an alarm bell ringing in my head.
Thanks Dave... I hadn’t spotted this and I am concerned about it. I’ll call the guy tomorrow. Thanks for your advice!

It also appears that the spare ways have vanished, a 32A MCB has been replaced with a 40A and the IR of 2 circuits has improved since the installation certificate was issued.

Has any work been carried out since the installation certificate was issued?

It also appears that the spare ways have vanished, a 32A MCB has been replaced with a 40A and the IR of 2 circuits has improved since the installation certificate was issued.

Has any work been carried out since the installation certificate was issued?
Not that I can remember, but we did have an issue with the shower, so that might explain that... the rest just doesn’t tally does it?

The two schedules do tally to an extent, it's the same circuits, but he has omitted the spare ways and RCDs and only listed the active ones.

I have seen this before, so not that unusual - however some of the figures look a bit odd, and the rating of one MCB has changed.

Could you take a photo of the CU and post that - we will see straight away what's right.

The two schedules do tally to an extent, it's the same circuits, but he has omitted the spare ways and RCDs and only listed the active ones.

I have seen this before, so not that unusual - however some of the figures look a bit odd, and the rating of one MCB has changed.

Could you take a photo of the CU and post that - we will see straight away what's right.
Thanks Julie... I’m not at the property so I can’t get a photo Im afraid.
Assuming the latest report is correct, what work would be needed to put it right?

Without the details, its difficult to say for sure, but on face value both rcds need to be replaced, it's a matter of isolating, removing the existing and installing new then testing, £200 doesn't sound too far out if there is two, but still depends on the make.

However since both have failed, this may suggest a common fault, either in testing or the wiring itself in which case it may require investigation.

Not that I can remember, but we did have an issue with the shower, so that might explain that... the rest just doesn’t tally does it?

The change of the shower MCB may well be related to the issue you had with the shower and that is the likely answer to that one.

The failure of an RCD is unusual, for two to fail the same is very very unusual. I would be testing for other faults which can prevent RCDs from tripping before just replacing them. Otherwise you may end up with 2 brand new RCDs not tripping.

possible N-E fault??? as i said in post #13

Reply to RCD Test failure question in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock