Discuss RCD test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jbroady

Did an RCD test on a new consumer unit, but got a fail on 1 times, but passed on 1/2times & 5 times.
Thought it may just be the rcd so i checked my instrument on the second rcd, but was perfect.
So then i swapped the rcd over & tested again but same happend again failed on 1 times but passed on 5 times.
All mcbs are switched off, & i tested at supply side of the rcd.
Any ideas??

Did an RCD test on a new consumer unit, but got a fail on 1 times, but passed on 1/2times & 5 times.
Thought it may just be the rcd so i checked my instrument on the second rcd, but was perfect.
So then i swapped the rcd over & tested again but same happend again failed on 1 times but passed on 5 times.
All mcbs are switched off, & i tested at supply side of the rcd.
Any ideas??

Think you have answered your own question.
Well ok....no...if it tripped on the other tests I assume you mean the load side.
The usual cause of a sluggish RCd is an inductive/capacative load still in circuit ,but if you say all MCB's off that cant be the case....

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, new at this, my fault not supply side of rcd, installation side.

Can you clarify exactly how you tested the RCD, you say it passed on this and failed on that. Do you mean it tripped on x half, didnt trip on x1, and tripped on x5, was it on 0 degrees or 180 degrees or both, and you should be testing it on the load side NOT the supply side. I dont mean to be negative, but dont want to guess or assume what it is you are asking.

Cheers........Howard

okay so i tested the rcd as normal at 1/2 times both degrees no trip (pass), then at 1 times both degrees no trip (fail) then at 5 times both degrees trip (pass) & sorry i tested on the load side.

okay so i tested the rcd as normal at 1/2 times both degrees no trip (pass), then at 1 times both degrees no trip (fail) then at 5 times both degrees trip (pass) & sorry i tested on the load side.

Are you sure no loads were in circuit.....anything with a capacitor fools the tester into giving a longer trip time.

Reply to RCD test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock