Discuss RCD testing - metrel MI3000 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Been noticing that when I run an auto RCD test I sometimes get a failure on the x1 and sometimes x1/2. However when performing the tests individually everything is fine.

Has anyone had these issues?

Been noticing that when I run an auto RCD test I sometimes get a failure on the x1 and sometimes x1/2. However when performing the tests individually everything is fine.

Has anyone had these issues?
When you do the tests individually, are you doing the 180 degree test as well?

Hi, I don’t have your tester so I can’t say about your issue directly. But, perhaps it’s the RCD (?). My thought being that after years of no operation or testing its movement might not be working to spec initially. If I get an auto test fail (rare) I don’t immediately retest. I hit the RCD test button a few times, recheck I’ve picked the right RCD type on the test, then re run.

Sorry I meant apart from factors to do with the tester. Brand of RCD, type of RCD, testing from device terminals or down circuit, etc ?

No nothing consistent. Recently had a job where the RCD was tripping at half times on auto test but when I performed the half times on it's own it was fine, no matter what side of the wave. The other day I had the opposite, auto test failed because at x1 the RCD was too slow to trip. Then performed it on it's own at x1 and it was fine.

Tbh both RCD's we're over 10 years old. However still seemed odd

also double check the settings on the auto test function. I have inadvertently altered mine before whilst being careless putting it away.

Are we not doing an rcd test to prove they react quick enough incase of a fault to earth surley by pressing the test button you have woke it up and now not testing it under realistic fault conditions
Yes, but I don’t think it’s wrong to give it a few warm up stretches. After all, the manufacturer asks for it to be tripped 4 times a year and so if it’s 10 years old that’s 40 it’s probably not had. If it doesn’t trip with the test button then that’s that really.

Yes, but I don’t think it’s wrong to give it a few warm up stretches. After all, the manufacturer asks for it to be tripped 4 times a year and so if it’s 10 years old that’s 40 it’s probably not had. If it doesn’t trip with the test button then that’s that really.
4 times thought it was once every 6 months

Reply to RCD testing - metrel MI3000 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock