Discuss RCD Testing with Megger 1711 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neptune

DIY
Reaction score
I'd like some information on the RCD test features and process please.
  • Firstly, does this only apply to sockets or lighting circuits too? Clearly both could be on the RCD
  • With sockets, do we have to run the RCD tests (half, full, five times, ramp) at all sockets or is one socket adequate?
  • Finally, I don't understand what an "angle" is e.g. 0, 180 degrees

Thanks in advance.

I'd agree with the above - would be worth you getting a copy of GN3, the inspection and test guide.

I think the reason has been said many times in your numerous topics

You are clearly not qualified or competent to carry out the work you are doing

Every single question you ask has multiple questions requesting a step by step guide on how to complete the task and when done, another task to do and another lot of questions

When questions have been asked of you, such as how are you for-filling your legal obligations on this work, you choose not to answer

You can skirt around the legalities all you like but I don't think you should be encouraged to do work you clearly can't and shouldn't do. IMO a little knowledge is a lot more dangerous than no knowledge because you tend to attempt things you really shouldn't be doing

Every single question you ask has multiple questions requesting a step by step guide on how to complete the task
I don't get this. I am not asking for a step-by-step guide. I have included a series of questions to make it easier for people to respond. I am after pointers for each of these.

What legal obligations are there if I am testing this on a test rig that I have created for myself and in my own house?

What legal obligations are there if I am testing this on a test rig that I have created for myself and in my own house?
Do you also have a bathroom, en-suite, hob, doorbell in your test rig? It is clear from your previous posts you are not working on a test rig
This is work on a house which you have previously stated
How are you testing, certifying and notifying this work you have stated you have done, a lot of which is notifiable by law?
I don't get this. I am not asking for a step-by-step guide. I have included a series of questions to make it easier for people to respond. I am after pointers for each of these.
You are asking Electricians who have spent a LOT of time and money to learn the trade and I can guarantee you that not 1 of them learned their trade via a forum
You are basically asking electricians for ways to avoid paying for an electrician. I'm all for people saving money and doing what they can themselves but you are clearly doing work on your/a house which you are not competent or qualified to do

Sorry to sound harsh but some things should be done by a trained competent professional. If you don't want to pay for an electrician then at least get the required training & books / regulations to do it yourself safely

Understood. I am probably pushing the boundaries for an unqualified electrician but I assure you that I don't take safety lightly. I have a tendency to research things to great depth before I am comfortable enough to try them out. I thought the forum was here to ask questions and get advice even if you aren't a qualified electrician.

I have gone through many past questions on this forum and I can see that they are equally - if not more - ignorant than anything I have asked but people have been obliging in their responses. Perhaps I have overstayed my welcome.

Thanks for all the help I have received to date and I am truly grateful for that. I will deactivate my account and join an alternative forum.

Is this rewire (sorry I meant “test rig”), likely to end up on the “Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement” page at some point in the future…👀

I thought the forum was here to ask questions and get advice even if you aren't a qualified electrician.
Yes that's true to an extent but there are limits to what an unqualified person should do even if they can especially if it's a legal requirement

Even trainee electricians who have been in college for a few years cannot do some of what you are asking without supervision until they are fully qualified

Reply to RCD Testing with Megger 1711 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net