Discuss RCD Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

When it comes to testing an RCD typical 30mA standard what are the appropriate test to do.

The way i thaught is;
1 - Functional via Test button
2 - 1/2 times test = no trip on 0 degrees
3 - 1/2 times test = no trip on 180 degrees
4 - 1 times test = trip at max 300mS on 0 degrees
5 - 1 times test = trip at max 300mS on 180 degrees

What i cannot unerstand is, when does the RCD ramp test be used? to see if it does trip within 30mA,
also when does the 5 times trip current be performed?

1/2 times - 0 & 180 deg.
1 times - 0 & 180 degrees - record highest value
5 times 0 & 180 degrees - record highest value

Functional test with trip button.

x1 200ms max
x5 40ms max.

Ramp test is generally only used to fault find and to test the RCD tripping current.

i use the ramp to see how many m/a are tripping an rcd if it has been going out for what seems like no reason and all other tests are ok, also the 5x test is always part of my testing, mft 1552 does it on auto test anyway

Can you just confirm the 200mS, as ive found it to be 300mS, Page 92 of OSG..
Also when it comes to the EIC sheet, it says RCD time.. Obviously you put in max time, but for what test - at 1 times?:)
Thanks

The RCD trip time for a general purpose RCCB to BS 4293 states that at 1 times, should be less than 200mS, but
over the page says for general purpose RCCB to BS EN 61008 and RCBO's to BS EN 61009 is 300mS. I thaught thats these were the standard type, but might be wrong.

As far as the certs are concerned i was referring to the one's in the big red book, standard one's.. What does NIC ask on ther's?:)
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, fair enough chaps. 300ms.

Still as least i know mine all come in under 200:p:D

As for the NIC certs, i thought there were test time columns for x1 and x5 at the end of each row?

There are on the test results sheet, last page.

I thought he meant on the middle page where it asks for characteristics if an RCD is used as a main switch.

To coin a phrase.....I'll get me coat.:D

Reply to RCD Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock