Discuss RCD trip test maximum reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
I was doing a periodic test of a house today and was getting 117m/s for the rcd trip,is this to high?
Whats the maximum allowed?
I know i should know this but have just reached a mental block trying to think of it and I don't have my regs book handy to look at it,Im sure the maxium is the same here in Ireland as it is in Britain..

Last edited:
Hi all
I was doing a periodic test of a house today and was getting 117m/s for the rcd trip,is this to high?
Whats the maximum allowed?
I know i should know this but have just reached a mental block trying to think of it and I don't have my regs book handy to look at it,Im sure the maxium is the same here in Ireland as it is in Britain..

On what setting x1 or x5 if the later yes.

Similar question

I have being doing some RCD's tests on a TT system and have been getting some high readings, x 5 117 ms.

The ZS reading was 160 ohms.

Are the RCD's faulty?

Any ideas?

Hi

RCD sounds fine. I take its a type S which means your trip times are also delayed.

Your ZS reading, what is the mA is your RCD? (160 ohms is well high especially this time of year)
is the installation 16th or 17th edition?
is the land agricultural?

Regards

split load board with a 100 ma RCD and two 30 mA RCD's

Was a 16th edition installation, hoseholder wanted the board upgraded before he had a new kitchen fitted.

House is in the country.

Assume the ZS is okay as it's below 200 ohms

Hi

Yea sorry meant ze, i also just read the post its a house forget the agricultural comment. unless theres a corn crop growing in the living room.

Regards

Hi

160 ohms may not be stable, as the ground conditions this time of year should give you the best readings..if you tested in the summer you may go over the 200 ohms mark..

Regards

Hey Dave.

So your Ze is actually the RA (rod resistance) which as you say is under the 200 ohm mark, but really should be lower in the current conditions less than 100 I like to aim for.

However if the 5x result is on one of your 30mA RCD's then thats a bit of an issue??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to RCD trip test maximum reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock