Discuss RCD trip in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

New the game and this forum so please bear with me.

I have just changed a customers old consumer units for one compliant with 17th edition. The circuits were all muddled up and it took a while to figure out all 18 wires and what they did. However the last "circuit" which due to the process of elimination i think is part of the downstairs lights trips the RCD as soon as the phase or neutral touches their connection in the fuse box.

From what i understand RCD measure current on the phase and compare it to that of the neutral and if they dont match up, trips.

The consumer unit is live when this happens.

If any one has any leads and suggestions they would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks for your time.

DD368

You seem to have a "borrowed" neutral type in this on the forum search engine and you'll see lot's of threads about it and how to over come it.

It is normally on the 2 way light from the downstairs light to the top landing light, many older houses where a 2 way lighting circuit had a neutral was "borrowed" neutral.

Best way to check is double up the 2 lighting circuits into one MCB for now, making sure that both neutrals for the circuits are in the same neutral bar.

Reply to RCD trip in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Long shot but thought I’d try, have a lighting circuit that trips the RCD as soon as the neutral touches the neutral bar for said RCD. Bypass that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I swapped a 2 gang switched socket for a 2 gang switchless socket with usb ports downstairs. I switched off all the power to the house by...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Hello all. So I am sure the expertise on this forum will be able to decode this very easily. But it has completely baffled me. I'm in training so...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock