Discuss RCD tripping at half current in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

elementps

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could throw a few suggestions my way.

Was testing a few circuits last week in preparation for additions (extension of house). All going fine until i tested the RCD that the customer currently has installed, it tripped on half current test?

I am planning to go back for some further investigation.
I tested at socket outlet, so my first idea is test direct at consumer unit, possibly dissconect the load??

The board is MK with MCB's but slightly older, the new MCB's will need a busbar conversion to fit. It's a split load with the RCD covering sockets, one think that threw me was the RCD is 4 module, is this just how they were made? All i can see from MK catalogue in 4 module, is 3 phase equipment???

Customer didnt really want to change board, but I think its heading that way as changin mcbs to rcbos, converting busbar, possibly replacing rcd is all adding up. May as well fit a new board.

Any ideas/advice on reasons for the RCD trip appreciated.

I'd would test again with all loads disconnected like you say, then see what you get.

All loads should be removed anyway, all mcbs from that RCD off. If it still trips then its probably faulty

If you tested at a socket you may have had loads plugged in that would affect the result, though normally that would just give you inaccurate times on the X5 test.

I would be going towards a either a dodgy RCD, or if you had loads plugged in that had Protective Conductor currents on them.

As you know a 1/2 test puts a 15mA fault on the RCD so if it dodgy then it could trip at this, so do a ramp test and see what it is tripping at.

If you left loads on it, that did have protective conductor currents, then the 15mA may have been enough to trip it. So test it at the CU.

Sorry forgot to mention, did a ramp test, at socket, 17mA.

So as planned I will first discon everything and test at board.

Now if this is still bad readings obviously faulty RCD, however what should be my next plan of attack if its not?

17mA is quite low and I would be looking at replacing that. Just to make sure that there is nothing affecting the RCD do a ramp test at the board.

Just open all the MCB's and with the RCD left closed test on the supply side of the RCD.

Me thinks that a CU change would be an ideal recommendation in this instance.

Reply to RCD tripping at half current in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock