Discuss RCD Tripping - Boiler Control Box in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

imprints

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can shed some light on a recent problem:

We have attended a problem whereby an RCD was tripping in a property due to a capacitor (suppressor) in a boiler control box shorting. We have removed the capacitor, and now all seems well.

The questions are,

Does anyone know the purpose of the capacitor?

What would have been the likely cause of the shorting problem?

If we should replace the part, where is the best place to source this from?

The boiler is a Main Olympic 38/50 B
GC No. 41-789-20

Thanks for any guidance....

I would guess it was thereto supress any spikes or surges caused by switching of the load. It may have also been some sort of built-in power factor correction or to make the boiler compliant with local EMC directives such as IEC 61000.
If it is one of the above then the boiler will probably run fine without it but capacitors are cheap so why not just fit a generic replacement part then there's no worries about the consequences of removing it.

agree with marvo, but generally when these anti-spike capacitors fail they blow apart. just read off the values uF and voltage and get a replacement from any electronics suppliers ( ebay is a good source)

Just a quick note, any capacitor connected across the mains, or L or N to E, must be an approved class X2 type, as well the same value, and by default the correct voltage.

Last edited:

Reply to RCD Tripping - Boiler Control Box in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Grateful for your expertise regarding my confusion on the below. Context: French rural domestic property Single phase supply, TT...
Replies
Views
Only a DIY'er here, usually safe and competent enough to fix straight forward problems, but this one has me stumped. I have two outside lighting...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was wondering if anyone has come across this before and could maybe help - Its a new one to me! Customer recently altered layout of...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock