Discuss RCD tripping for bathroom heater in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacerace

DIY
Reaction score
I've installed an outdoor 2200W IR heater (also rated for bathrooms) in my bathroom which is connected to an outdoor IP66 rated switch and a non-latching RCD plug at the end of a 10m (2.5mm sq) artic flex outdoor cable.

The last 2 times i measured, the heater worked for 17 and then 8 minutes before the RCD tripped. Resetting doesn't work, I have to unplug the RCD plug for a while before it can be used again.

Everything is in-line and pretty simple to wire. RCD to 10m cable to switch to heater. What is tripping my RCD and how can I fix it? Some pics below.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

20191113_090705.jpg20191113_090758.jpg

Can you post a picture of the other side of the rcd plug?

Ok, my thoughts were that it might be under rated for the load.
It is not.

I think at this point it might be best to get someone out with the equipment and knowledge required to properly test this.

Also, I am not keen on the method of installation, unsupported cables running through a doorway.
Plug in items, even if wall mounted are not a good idea for bathrooms.

Something in that set up is faulty, possibly due to something overheating when it’s been on a while.
I assume that this has been done with best intentions on a tight budget, but I think now is the time to get someone out to ensure it is safe.

Sorry for the bad news.

Ok, my thoughts were that it might be under rated for the load.
It is not.

I think at this point it might be best to get someone out with the equipment and knowledge required to properly test this.

Also, I am not keen on the method of installation, unsupported cables running through a doorway.
Plug in items, even if wall mounted are not a good idea for bathrooms.

Something in that set up is faulty, possibly due to something overheating when it’s been on a while.
I assume that this has been done with best intentions on a tight budget, but I think now is the time to get someone out to ensure it is safe.

Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks James, yes it definitely is on a tight budget. An electrician is not an option at all -- they would probably refuse to work on something like this in any case.

The bathroom is freezing so I had to do something. All of the equipment should be able to withstand any bathroom like conditions and I will sort out the cabling once it's all working properly but I just need to find out what's tripping the RCD.

I'm going to rewire the RCD plug with a regular 13A plug that I will plug into a n RCD adaptor (latching, this time) and see if that works.

Thanks for you concern and advice, official and otherwise. I am trying to be as careful as I can -- don't want to die nor freeze.

The switch is rated at 20AX so it should be robust enough for the load. It's also rated IP66 ("IP66 Enclosure - IP rated as "dust tight" and protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water") so some steam shouldn't be an issue. But I can move it outside the bathroom.

It could be the heater itself so I'll test that after I test the RCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just one of those threads where I think getting an electrician in, is the only way this is going to get done right. I'll close this thread. You're welcome to post the job on the forum and get somebody qualified in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RCD tripping for bathroom heater in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net