Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss rcd tripping on a ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Ok help before a pull out the rest of my hair got an rcd that trips when ring main breaker turned on got continuity but still trips when only live connected ant ideas

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok so just changed a board connected everything back up and was tripping on lights or so I thought so disconnected them. no all I have connected in board is two lives for ring main and rcd trips when ever I turn the breaker on

yep disconnected everything trying to check whether a neutral was crossed or something literally pulling my hair out now

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
IR test results?

Continuity tests both end to end and figure of 8?

ok so got continuity not shorts insulation resistance low but not too low at 16meg and again all I have connected or two lives of the ring no neutrals for any circuit no earths for any circuit. RCD stays on until I turn the breaker on. Never come across a fault like it

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
IR test done with all earths connected? Sounds like you have a path to earth somewhere.

If there's a boiler or other fixed appliance on the circuit check for reversed polarity.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
ok so got continuity not shorts insulation resistance low but not too low at 16meg and again all I have connected or two lives of the ring no neutrals for any circuit no earths for any circuit. RCD stays on until I turn the breaker on. Never come across a fault like it
With no Ns connected wont you have an imbalance in the circuit?

If this is a dual rcd board and I know this is obvious but are the neutrals definitely in the correct neutral bar.

Reply to rcd tripping on a ring main in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom