Discuss RCD tripping on split board, strange one in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

vini

-
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if I can properly explain this one. When the shower is switched on the RCD (1) on the other side of the board trips. The shower continues to work fine and when they come out they reset the RCD until the next person needs a shower.

When the hoover is switched on and plugged into the ring on RCD (1) side of the board the RCD (1) trips, but when the hoover is plugged into the ring on RCD (2) it is fine and works. Apparently the same thing happens with the kettle, sometimes. Other appliances are fine.

They did have a fire about five years ago and the place was partially rewired. A split board was put in about 2 years ago

IR tests are fine.
Neutrals are all correct.
Ring mains are not crossed.

N-E fault on 1 of the RCD1 circuits. prossibly very low reading if you take out the L and N legs of each circuit in turn from CU and IR test,

IR test, did you test each circuit individually on that side of the rcd, if so what readings did you obtain.?

As an aside, I had an RCD trip some times on a circuit with a freezer on it when I used a DIY tool or lawnmower in the RCD socket. The trip probably caused by earth leakage current from the freezer which is only operational when the freezer is actively cooling. I removed the RCD and used an extension cable with an RCD and there was not any tripping.

so some RCDs are more sensitive even though they have the same spec.

Could also be a poor neutral connection on the supply side. Have you ramp tested the RCDs?

Mystery solved. An extension cable plugged into a garden shed socket leading out to the garden to feed a water pump in a pond. The extension cable (socket end) wrapped up in a poly bag, left outside in Scotland. Sometimes dry, mostly wet. Never trust customer's explanantion of what is going on in their house holds.

Rule of thumb for RCD faults that 'just started to happen' is rain, DIY or faulty appliance.

Mystery solved. An extension cable plugged into a garden shed socket leading out to the garden to feed a water pump in a pond. The extension cable (socket end) wrapped up in a poly bag, left outside in Scotland. Sometimes dry, mostly wet. Never trust customer's explanantion of what is going on in their house holds.
Thanks for the update - very helpful!

Reply to RCD tripping on split board, strange one in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock