Discuss RCD tripping on test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, while testing the new board I installed I got to the live testing at the sockets one of the RCD's kept tripping during the loop test, the other ring tested fine so it's not the tester, the insulation tests where all good. Unfortunately I didn't have a residual current clamp meter with me, to see what was present in the existing circuits.

Does RCD test work at the RCD? Also check with outgoing Neutral disconnected if it's a dual RCD board.
Try a ramp test of the RCD and re-check dead IR tests.
The ramp test will tell you how many milli-amps of leakage it takes on top of what's already leaking to trip it.
And trying unplugging everything and doing it again, might simply be a faulty appliance.

Last edited:
Does RCD test work at the RCD? Also check with outgoing Neutral disconnected if it's a dual RCD board.
Try a ramp test of the RCD and re-check dead IR tests.
The ramp test will tell you how many milli-amps of leakage it takes on top of what's already leaking to trip it.
Many thanks for a very speedy reply, I did recheck all the IR tests. I will take your advice and try the above, unfortunately it won’t be for a few weeks but I will let you know .. cheers 👍

Reply to RCD tripping on test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Called out to fault on RCD tripping maybe twice in a month for sometime. Did all the tests & found RCD was faulty, Refitted a new Rcd Type A which...
Replies
Views
I have just checked a double outlet and it trips at 18ma. It was supposed to be faulty. Washing machine had a bad heater which got replaced but...
Replies
Views
I'm writing this mainly hoping something occurs to me while writing it! I got called to an occasionally tripping RCD. It's a Hager double height...
Replies
Views
Cant get my head round this :( I understand N-E faults cause RCD's to trip, but I cant understand why on these 2 occasions, googled allover but...
Replies
Views
I just finished a garden room supply. The customer already had a CPN garage consumer unit that the last sparks left there, brand new in box, and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock