Discuss Rcd tripping problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Braz1845

Hi guys
this is my first post,so please go gentle.
i have recently finished a large domestic installation,which was put into service, after initial verification and all subsequent tests carried out with satisfactory results.
Now unfortunately I wasn't the last trade on site and now I have a problem with Rcd tripping once or twice a day( no set time of day)
I carried out Tests on RCDs results fine.
I tested A ring main circuit IR between L-N,L-E,N-E all clear but when I tested the disconnected Cpcs to neutral and got a reading of 4meg,also a voltage of 49V between the same Cpcs and neutral.

I left the circuit disconnected for 3 weeks (until able to return) and the RCDs have been fine( no tripping)
the installation is new and is TNC-S.

Ive spit the circuit into 2 radials,and get this same IR reading on each leg ( with the ring split at mid point)
Starting to do my head in now and wondered if anyone has any pointers for me before I get totally confused

thanks

What Circuit? Socket outlets by any chance? collective earth fault from plugged in appliances more than likely if the RCD is not faulty and the circuit checks out okay.

A few things; firstly if the circuit was disconnected then ignore the 49v you got, if yu see a weird voltage between wires that makes no sense then confirm it with an analogue voltmeter before you go chasing the problem. Secondly 4 megs N-E wires isn't anywhere near low enough to allow 30mA leakage and cause the RCD to trip, rather connect everything back up, double check you don't have any crossed neutrals in the CU and use an earth leakage clamp meter around the Land N of each circuit to establish exactly what leakage they have.

Hi , interesting when you said that you were not the last trade on site .
I have had, on several occasions, a problem caused by the tiler removing
sockets ( fixing screws not connections!) doing his bit then refitting unit
BUT just catching the neutral with the screw and it seems to be ok until
something is switched on and the neutral then comes into play , hope this helps.

Hi , interesting when you said that you were not the last trade on site .
I have had, on several occasions, a problem caused by the tiler removing
sockets ( fixing screws not connections!) doing his bit then refitting unit
BUT just catching the neutral with the screw and it seems to be ok until
something is switched on and the neutral then comes into play , hope this helps.

yes! Worst faults in the world, little nasty intermittent critters where somethings just quite not touching / touching.

What Circuit? Socket outlets by any chance? collective earth fault from plugged in appliances more than likely if the RCD is not faulty and the circuit checks out okay.

No appliances connected to circuit,(yes it's a ring main final circuit)
The consumer unit is made up with 2 banks of mcbs ,each bank protected by a Rcd
ive switched the RCDs and found that the same Rcd tripped even though it is now not protecting the suspect circuit,I presume it's either a faulty Rcd(which actually tests out fine,)or I have a neutral fault between my Cpcs of the said circuit and a neutral of another circuit,if you understand me!!

I know that it shouldn't trip the RCD but on a new installation I would presume IR of infinity,not 4meg

everything seems to point to a neutral fault but can't get my head round the fact than when circuit is disconnected Rcd hods ok
I'm probably guilty of over thinking this one,but I can't help but think why do I have a reading between a disconnected Cpcs and neutral bar at CU (when L,N,E are all disconnected)
thanks for response

Well..... if there is nothing connected and no appliances in the house then the next step is to remove all the sockets 1 by 1..... however could you be barking up the wrong tree, you have a dual board so what are all the other circuits doing?

Good point and it's something I've thought about,but the fact is that with this ring circuit disconnected the problem disappears,but like I said earlier it could be a fault between either the cpc of the ring circuit and a neutral of another circuit or vice versa.
how that could happen beggers belief,
im due to return to site in a couple of days,so I think I'm going do IR test between cpcs of ring circuit and neutrals of all other circuits.

Other option..."someone" has had sockets off entirely and messed up the terminations?
Line/Neutral wire come loose and touching an earthed back box?
Bad socket outlet?

If its an intermittent trip then the IR tests may show nothing. Time to get your screwdriver out!

Other option..."someone" has had sockets off entirely and messed up the terminations?
Line/Neutral wire come loose and touching an earthed back box?
Bad socket outlet?
ive run into this before with a cooling fan a neutral shorting against a box.
my poor apprentice had a fit trying to find the fault,
i told him what it was but had him find out where it was
tracked it down to the first junction box on the conduit run.

Also,if others have fiddled with socket fronts,especially decorators,don't just check terminations and cable bends,peep right down to see if cores have been pulled,cutting on backbox aperture,EVEN through grommet (if fitted!) They love doing their own version of insulation testing...

Reply to Rcd tripping problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock