Discuss RCD tripping randomly over the past few weeks in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GOLLUM

-
Reaction score
Hi,

First post so welcome all and here goes

Over the last month the GE RCD has tripped randomly, the last time when we were asleep in bed and nothing more anoying to wake up late as alarm not gone off and all house sockets dead.

When i try to reset the rcd it will not reset until i turn off all the breakers, then it resets and i turn on the breakers one by one and away we go.

Now if it tripped when i turned the breakers back on i could isolate the circiut thats causing the problem but it does not trip.

So i can only presume its the rcd as its so random, today it tripped when i turned on the tv.

Any Idea's should i replace the rcd 1st and see if it happens again or just get a sparky in.

Thanks

Unless you have and are able to use test gear to identify the problem
You will be peeing against the wind,best go with your own suggestion.the spark

To help the sparkie also try identify when it trips... is it raining (maybe outside light), as you also say its doing it night and day its possible something that turns on intermitently so check if heating is on (faulty valve) and if neither of above fits the last but not least fridge/freezer (compressor fault).
But agree it still can be hard to trace even with test gear, isolation of circuit from rcd temp' and onto rcbo may be needed to narrow the fault down.

Either way i agree with previous post, might cost a callout but probably save on the hours you lose been late for work.

Thanks for info, i have isolated all outside lights and garden pump and it is still tripping so nothing outside, I did have to take a cover off the fridge a month ago to release the fan as it was frozen in ice so wether i trapped a wire i dont know so thats worth a look, is there any possibility it is the rcd as become faulty, its 15 years old now and a GE type.

Last edited:
Pcb - printed circuit board..... are you mixing something up here?

Rcd .. should have a test button on it if it operates when you press it it shows it works physically but you would require testing gear to see if it complies, its rare for rcd's to trip because they are faulty usually they fail to trip if they are faulty, when you say you isolated lights - have you just switched them off? RCD's monitor Neutral as well and this wont be isolated when turning switch or even mcb off, this is why this kind of problem really needs a competent electrician.

Can a neutral fault just occur as we have had no wireing done for at least 5 years and that was on an extension and by approved sparky

Hah every fault I have attended the client has sworn blind no work has been done for years?

Usually forget about the new mirror they just hung into a cable.

Get an electrician to pop round - it will be sorted fairly quickly I'm sure.

Pcb - printed circuit board..... are you mixing something up here?

Rcd .. should have a test button on it if it operates when you press it it shows it works physically but you would require testing gear to see if it complies, its rare for rcd's to trip because they are faulty usually they fail to trip if they are faulty, when you say you isolated lights - have you just switched them off? RCD's monitor Neutral as well and this wont be isolated when turning switch or even mcb off, this is why this kind of problem really needs a competent electrician.

Yes the test button trips the rcd but then it will not reset unless i turn off all the 6 breakers, i have tried to reset it with each one at a time but it will not unless all 6 off, then i turn all six back on and its ok till it trips again. the outside pir lamps are isolated on a switch, would it be better if i pulled out wires from switch to take out the neutral monitor situation.

If there is any electrician on the forum in the leicester area who would like to come and sort out problem i would be happy just to get it sorted but i dont know any myself and dont want a cowboy coming and spending hours at my expence and making things worse hense my questions to help isolate it down so to make it easier for who comes to sort it out

Last edited:
Sounds a little strange that it wont reset unless all load is removed, its resetting may be faulty but im not too sure this is your issue with the tripping... but this is the problem; we are at an impass now and test gear is needed, you can wait and ask all night but you will only get random shots in the dark as to its cause if not educated guesses but still all guesses and really it may confuse more than help...

Il bow out here as i cant see you getting any more help with this problem without an electrician and testing gear but hope i was of some guidence.

Have seen it with a few appliances where they have a earth to neutral fault usually fridges or computers but sometime on there own they aren't enough to trip RCD but some times when on together they will do or if it's one appliance it may take a while before the earth leakage trips the RCD only had this once or twice and was a ******* to fault find.

Have seen it with a few appliances where they have a earth to neutral fault usually fridges or computers but sometime on there own they aren't enough to trip RCD but some times when on together they will do or if it's one appliance it may take a while before the earth leakage trips the RCD only had this once or twice and was a ******* to fault find.

I get you now... computers, LED lamps etc have a design leakage, this is normal but what you are getting at is an accumulative leakage of several items with design leakage and/or fault leakage as this can creep past the approx 18mA which is then in the tripping territory of a 30mA rcd/rcbo.

There is a 'slow rise leakage' but this is less common and is a fault within an appliance normally where the leakage slowly ramps up until it trips rcd, this can be caused by heat expansion that creates earth leakage in proportion to temperature rise and can be seen occasionally in lighting ballasts for example, sorry to pull you on it i was more curious to what you meant as appose to having a dig.

I get you now... computers, LED lamps etc have a design leakage, this is normal but what you are getting at is an accumulative leakage of several items with design leakage and/or fault leakage as this can creep past the approx 18mA which is then in the tripping territory of a 30mA rcd/rcbo.

There is a 'slow rise leakage' but this is less common and is a fault within an appliance normally where the leakage slowly ramps up until it trips rcd, this can be caused by heat expansion that creates earth leakage in proportion to temperature rise and can be seen occasionally in lighting ballasts for example, sorry to pull you on it i was more curious to what you meant as appose to having a dig.

No worries m8 i knew what I ment I just knew it to be call it a slow earth leakage

My guess is a loose neutral in consumer unit(probably factory connections)....can be fine for ages and trip but not reset with load on it....fire waiting to happen as there is obviously a reason for it to trip in first place, so I would get it looked at if I were you :)

Reply to RCD tripping randomly over the past few weeks in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock