Discuss Rcd tripping strangely in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Don’t often post on here but I’ve dreamt about this issue last night. Need advice please

Yesterday I attended a property to complete an EICR, home owner had moved in the previous week.
Customer has not had any issues with the install, all circuits powerd on a 16th edition cu split load sockets on RCD1 3 ring final circuits 2.5 1 mm T/E 2 of which were on B32 1 on a B40 which is none compliant. Would swap this for a B32 if test proved good
So I come to end of my EICR with just a few C3 no earth sleaving labels, recomend rcd for circuit 1-6 on none rcd side. Then couple c2 lack of supplementary bonding in bathroom and ip rated fitting needed in bathroom.

So end of my test I checked the trip times of the RCD 126mA 1x 36mA 5x trip button operated.
So all good!

On trying to reset the mcb on the none rcd side while the rcd was set it would trip the RCD when I tried to set any of the b6 lights. Then also when I set any of the sockets circuits.
Thought borrowed neutral, so checked all wiring on no rcd all good. Found a N-E fault on upstairs sockets, the circuit which is was on the B40. This did not present itself on my dead test.

So I split the ring located the leg and split again found my 2 points of fault.
It was getting late on in the afternoon, I had another job to attend. Explained to the customer I would return. Left the circuit dead, to carry on on my return, 1.5hrs later.
When I returned, continued with my test, no fault present.
Scratching my head, for a while.
I put everything back together reconnected to the cu, changing the B32 now for aB16 Powered up, all good, normal operation. Left the customer with a working circuit, to attend after the weekend for FI

I’m lost on this, need an explanation if anyone could shed any light I would very much appreciate it. Something I’m not seeing, missed?

Many thanks
EJ

Sorry, just trying the tell you of the happenings. I’m not overly good at getting my point across through literature

Probably why I’m not understanding the issue, waffling in my head. I’ll try taking one step at a time

1st why would an rcd trip when setting mcbs on the non rcd side. No N-E fault on that side. Rcd side mcbs off. Seems there is an imbalance.

Hi - there is some chance Owner has changed something while you were away. Disconnected a lamp or appliance that had a fault perhaps. Another possibility is the fault was at the backbox (?) where you've taken it apart and it's no longer in contact.

Hi - there is some chance Owner has changed something while you were away. Disconnected a lamp or appliance that had a fault perhaps. Another possibility is the fault was at the backbox (?) where you've taken it apart and it's no longer in contact.
Plastic back box, although this particular back box had a telephone cable extension cable running through.
I know I may of disturbed something during inspection and played with the movement of the cables, still didn’t re-present the fault in doing so.
I suppose the owner could of done something while I was away though.

could the cables be nicked at the consumer unit? when you disconnect and move them to test it could be allowing contact. then separating them again its taking the fault away again . I would check at consumer unit end. years ago I saw sparks cutting the insulation with stanley blades and sometimes nick the insulation.

I have read your post a couple of questions that are not clear.
I assume that you changed the 40A TO 32A?
Why did you change a 32A to 16A?
Did you do a global insulation test to earth? (there could be a nail or something between different circuits)
Were all the loads disconnected when testing?

Reply to Rcd tripping strangely in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock