Discuss RCD tripping times at 1x and 5x in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm84

-
Reaction score
I understand that when carrying out RCD testing an RCD should trip within 300ms at 1x and 40ms at 5x but is it common that on occasions for the RCD to trip quicker at 1x than 5x. I never had it occur personally.

I am just looking at some old certs and on some circuits the RCD is tripping marginally quicker at 1x than 5x.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a copy of the OSG? all the info regarding trip times of the different types of RCDs are contained within.

Usually 5x is quicker than 1x, however the older RCDs are very close in trip time and the meter variance and supply condition could change the value slightly.
The recorder may have swapped them around by mistake.
If the 5x was done first and the RCD had not tripped for a while then it may be initially slow to respond.

Do you have a copy of the OSG? all the info regarding trip times of the different types of RCDs are contained within.

Yes I do but the OSG does not tell you the results if tripping times for every install in the country does it?

I am fully aware of the max permitted times. My query is: is it unlikely that the 1x results can be quicker than the 5x.

Usually 5x is quicker than 1x, however the older RCDs are very close in trip time and the meter variance and supply condition could change the value slightly.
The recorder may have swapped them around by mistake.
If the 5x was done first and the RCD had not tripped for a while then it may be initially slow to respond.

Thanks. I had first thought that they may have swapped them round by mistake however on some results the 5x is marginally quicker (which is what I would expect)

Yes I do but the OSG does not tell you the results if tripping times for every install in the country does it?

I am fully aware of the max permitted times. My query is: is it unlikely that the 1x results can be quicker than the 5x.
It will be rare but not impossible for this to happen. X5 readings are usually a for example around 10-15 to X1s 22-29 on a standard RCBO, these times are totally made up, just giving examples.

you may have a female RCD.. totally unpredictable and unstable.

I've had them trip at the same times but very rarley normally around 19ms but at different cycles , on the report you enter the highest value for 5s and the higher value for 1s so thie would not show up on the report

Reply to RCD tripping times at 1x and 5x in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock