Discuss RCD tripping with PV in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been working my way through an installation looking for why the RCD trips in light misty rain.
I have eliminated all outside installations the only thing left outside the building are the solar panels.
I know little to nothing about the PV installation. So my question is, is there anything on the roof that can cause the RCD to trip?
For info I think there about 5-6 years old.

Thanks in advance

As far as I know, the only thing that should be on the roof will be solar related DC cables running from the panels to the inverter. This should be electrically separated from the AC side of the installation, with faults on the DC side being managed/recorded by the inverter.

How often does the RCD trip? You say in light misty rain... if it's just light misty rain I'd be thinking moisture in the air as opposed to water ingress as the later should manifest in any rain.

Can the RCD be reset once it's tripped or does the client have to wait for a while for things to dry out?

What circuits are on the RCD? What test results do you have for those circuits? Is the board a split load board? What test results do you have for the circuits on the other side? Have you checked for loose connections in the incoming supply? Is it an overhead supply? Do the lights flicker if the installation is put under heavy load? Does the RCD trip at any other time? How long has it been going on? Did they have any work carried out around the same time as the tripping started? Have you asked the client to keep a diary of when it trips (including things like weather, time of day, what's going on, had they just switched something on or off)?

Lots of questions I'm afraid, but this is the kind of conversation I have with any client when I'm called out to nuisance RCD tripping.

If the inverter is the transformerless type then these can cause nuisance RCD trips. Often, giving the inverter its own RCBO - so it has the full 30mA 'allowance' for earth leakage - can remedy the problem and avoid blacking out the house.

Also check to see if the frames holding the panels or the panels themselves are bonded back to the MET. PV arrays can leak ac or dc current (no insulation is perfect and capacitance exists between mains ac and pv dc conductors) or become electrostatically charged. If the frames/panels are not earthed then when it rains or is misty there can be intermittent earthing of them through the roof and building to terra firma. When these current flow to earth or the static discharges they can alter the balance of the currents flowing in the RCD's coil enough to cause a trip.

Last check the state and placement of any dc pv connectors - they should be out of any pools of water, not clamped to metalwork and properly made so no water or mist can penetrate them.

A further question - what is the earthing system? It's not TT is it?

Last edited:
It will have nothing to do with the PV..
Ramp test the rcd and ascertain what your normal earth leakage is at..
From there you will be able to suss out what you have left over..
Fluctuations on the quality of earth due to the weather may be causing the rcd to trip

It will have nothing to do with the PV..
Ramp test the rcd and ascertain what your normal earth leakage is at..
From there you will be able to suss out what you have left over..
Fluctuations on the quality of earth due to the weather may be causing the rcd to trip

You can't categorically say that it is not the PV without testing. The inverter itself could have earth leakage or, if transformerless, could be leaking AC through the array via bonding (roof systems almost never are bonded though), or through the wet building to earth when it rains.

Easily eliminated by switching off PV at AC isolator next time.

Reply to RCD tripping with PV in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock