Discuss RCD Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, odd one this, I live in an old house and the wiring is confusing to say the least. I keep well away as rent and not my place to fiddle with it. Has anyone experienced the following?

The house has several circuits as is split into a house and a small flat downstairs.

Yesterday, some of the house tripped - the cooker, immersion heater, and downstairs lights.

If a high drain item is switched on such as the cooker, a fan heater or immersion, the circuit trips. However, if you plug e.g. a fan heater into one of the power sockets, the other circuit trips but the circuit powering the heater (i e the sockets) is still ok and don't trip.

if you reset the trip and leave the lights on, it trips again but after a few minutes.

I'm perplexed as have never known a trip to go on another circuit like leaving the one tripping it still, able to run.

Any advice greatly appreciated of course.

Seems like a load issue but I really don't know.

Richard

looks like a N-E fault. this can cause a trip on a RCD not connected to the circuit where the load causes the trip.. deffo a job for a competent sparks to trace and rectify.

So it does. The default symptoms of an N-E fault are that:

The faulty circuit is on the RCD that trips.
The trip may be caused by putting load on some or all circuits, including circuits not controlled by the RCD that trips.
The higher the load, the more likely the trip.

The fault can be anywhere in either the wiring or the appliances connected to it, so try switching off the cooker and immersion isolator switches and see if the tripping stops. It must be the isolators, not the MCBs, as the former are double-pole and will isolate the neutral fault if in the appliance.

Many thanks for the suggestions, an electrician is coming on Tuesday. Definitely sounds like a neutral /earth fault though nothing has been changed in the house.

Regards
Richard

Reply to RCD Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock