Discuss RCD tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gixxerdan

I have just installed 3 new sockets in my house. Before putting power on I went round with my multimeter and checked the resistances between earth and neutral/live to check there was no shorts and all tested ok so went round with a 240v rated floodlight to check all of the sockets with the power on. Plugged in to the first double-worked but then plugged it in to the other side of the same double socket- rcd tripped! Now it trips everytime I try plug something in. Any ideas? Ive tried a couple of different equipment and have gone round checking for loose wires but now im stuck... help please!

To note for starters you are lacking the correct test equipment.. you would need to do an IR test, ELI test as well as a few other tests when commisioning your 3 new sockets.
More details; how have you added these sockets are they on their own circuit or have you linked to existing and if the latter how have you linked them?

maybe a fault on the equipment that you plugged in??? earth fault from Portable appliance??

Probably connected the neutral incorrectly.

A couple of pointers; firstly there's a good chance you won't see an insulation fault that might cause RCD tripping with a multimeter. Secondly a floodlight is an item that's specifically designed to shed a high intensity light over a large area. It falls very short of the mark as a circuit tester. You needs to test the loop impedance, earth impedance etc etc of the circuit as per the regulations. These tests are designed to ensure that the circuit is safe and won't cause injury to a user.

Edit, sorry for any repeated advice, there were no replies when i started typing :(

To note for starters you are lacking the correct test equipment.. you would need to do an IR test, ELI test as well as a few other tests when commisioning your 3 new sockets.
More details; how have you added these sockets are they on their own circuit or have you linked to existing and if the latter how have you linked them?
I have linked them in to the ring main for downstairs.

I have just installed 3 new sockets in my house. Before putting power on I went round with my multimeter and checked the resistances between earth and neutral/live to check there was no shorts and all tested ok so went round with a 240v rated floodlight to check all of the sockets with the power on. Plugged in to the first double-worked but then plugged it in to the other side of the same double socket- rcd tripped! Now it trips everytime I try plug something in. Any ideas? Ive tried a couple of different equipment and have gone round checking for loose wires but now im stuck... help please!

Tell us where you are I'm sure one of us can help you for a reasonable rate.

I am with above....

If it works one side but not the other that can be the only explination

- - - Updated - - -

Ah that does change matters

if the ring is existing and you only added 3 twins and you have correct polarity and you haven't altered anything else then maybe an isulation fault from a trapped cable or damaged cable when clipping etc.... this can hide itself until a load is added, even harder to find is if you have disturbed or trapped another circuit while doing your sockets, again it may only show itself when load is added to the circuit.

To explain this i had a callout to DIY job and where-ever he plugged in any load the front end rcd tripped... it also did it on lighting but only some of them.... turns out a trapped lighting feed was the fault but made itself known even if the sockets were loaded up.

Sorry should of said- i tried a couple of different sockets

It seams impossible to me for the same item to be used in a double socket and on one side it's ok and the other side it trips RCD try swapping the socket for one u know works both sides like an old one that is already in use ( the chances are slim but it could be a faulty batch) and how did u wire this socket a spur or extended the ring?

if the ring is existing and you only added 3 twins and you have correct polarity and you haven't altered anything else then maybe an isulation fault from a trapped cable or damaged cable when clipping etc.... this can hide itself until a load is added, even harder to find is if you have disturbed or trapped another circuit while doing your sockets, again it may only show itself when load is added to the circuit.

To explain this i had a callout to DIY job and where-ever he plugged in any load the front end rcd tripped... it also did it on lighting but only some of them.... turns out a trapped lighting feed was the fault but made itself known even if the sockets were loaded up.

Ive fixed some of the cables with cable clips but i definately not hit any with the nails- could these still be causing the issue?

It seams impossible to me for the same item to be used in a double socket and on one side it's ok and the other side it trips RCD try swapping the socket for one u know works both sides like an old one that is already in use ( the chances are slim but it could be a faulty batch) and how did u wire this socket a spur or extended the ring?
I extended the ring. It worked one side then tried the othet and it tripped. Now trips
all the time whichever socket i put the load on so thinking i must of disturbed something but all the connections seem sound and secure...

Try unscrewing all the sockets u have worked on today and pull them forward and try that I've had it before where cables get pressure faults from the neutral to the back box.
Let me know how u get on

Could be damaged insulation when putting the socket up to the backbox opens up and goes to earth, but that's only a guess.

Where are you? And don't say your living room... :)

Re-establish the old ring (with a spare piece of cable if need-be) thus disconnecting your new sockets, then check if rcd trips when old ring is established how it used to be, if this works then IR test your own work and take it from their, has the plasterer or paint got into the back of sockets etc it could be tracking under load.

Forgot to add, did you trim back the outer (grey) insulation with a stanley knife?

Forgot to add, did you trim back the outer (grey) insulation with a stanley knife?
Yes i did. I checked at the time of doing it that I hadnt nicked a core but i will double check in the morning. Thanks for the advice guys, I will let you all know if I get anywhere in the morning. I dont have an IR or ELI tester so checking the cables for nicks is the best I can do really.

There's a few methods for stripping T&E, some are on this video but I'm not a fan of the knife method.

[video=youtube;FlLE8522tFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlLE8522tFA[/video]

Note the lengthy speech on the merits of stretching the CPC and the perfectly manicured nails... :lol:

Reply to RCD tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock