Discuss Rcd tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

piz

Hello all
i have just installed a mini consumer unit next to an old board to protect d/s sockets And lights for some kitchen work ll ok for 2 days but customer called me out sockets tripping any ideas no o/s light all sockets un plugged IR over 200 meg r1 very high tho need to check tightness of none cations in morning
if rcd sets with mob off is it live to earth fault?
Any ideas could be boiler yet to disconnect
cheers

Sorry Trev meant to say checking tightness of sockets and calculations tomoz ie r1 r2 and r n and IR tests but sure all ok

Yeah your right what am I looking or on ramp test it's on my meter but never used it
every item un plugged still won't re set

If you are taking the customers word on nothing being plugged in, then I would ask them when you get there as sometimes they feel a little daft that something they have done is causing this too happen. Although as you say it could well be the boiler.

Right so I'm guessing you've installed a 2w RCD CU for the work you have done and the RCD is tripping after a few days. Am I right so far?
You say the sockets are tripping but are you absolutely sure it's that circuit that is causing the trips?
Now you say you're going to check your test results tomorrow but what is making you doubt them?
Were there any issues before you did what you did?
Here's a cruncher for you, if all your test results were fine then you have to ask what has happened since you left the job. Leaks, spillages, new (faulty) appliance?
Maybe it's the boiler but I'd be asking the client some searching questions, how is the boiler fed, from the RFC or independently?

well whilst your checking connections behind fronts....check the terminations in the C/U n all.....loose connections can/will cause an RCD to let go....

I would defo check for loose connections, 3 electricians to a property where rcd was tripping, nobody found the fault, blamed on appliance (though this normally the case). Neutral in ccu was just sitting on top of main switch not gripped at all, once secured no more tripping.:smiley2:

I would defo check for loose connections, 3 electricians to a property where rcd was tripping, nobody found the fault, blamed on appliance (though this normally the case). Neutral in ccu was just sitting on top of main switch not gripped at all, once secured no more tripping.:smiley2:
and if it wasn`t a loose connection found....would you just `blame it on an appliance` then eh?....ever heard of a ramp test?....

yes of course i have heard of a ramp test and very rare a rcd fails a ramp test in my opinion. i am trying to be helpful with suggestions, unlike your useless unprovoked comment. The customer states nothing is plugged in & rcd wont reset so how are you going to perform a ramp test EH!!

???....You said the board serves sockets and lights....how do you know it's the sockets tripping the RCD and not the lights?.....

Edited due to not reading the OP correctly!

I think everybody that answered the OP deserves a round of applause for doing so.

i cant make sense posts like this no punktuation nor grammer makes wonder what appening skools this days but kidz should thank lucky starz exams arnt ritten anymore all theyd all be down job center

Reply to Rcd tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock