Discuss RCD Tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mamba

9 LED outside garden lights protected by RCD. Originally the client asked me to investigate outside lights as when he switched them on RCD tripped immediately . On investigation found previous Halogen fitting past sell by date most full of water and corroded. Client agreed to have all replaced with IP65 LED's. Have now replaced all fittings IR tested all cables prior to fitting new LED's all good. Also RCD test done + Ramp test Ramp 27Ma and trip times all good. However when Turn On supply RCD does not trip immediately buy holds and then trips anything between 50 seconds to over 6 min. Other than dismantling each light to ID possible rouge light any suggestions?

9 LED outside garden lights protected by RCD. Originally the client asked me to investigate outside lights as when he switched them on RCD tripped immediately . On investigation found previous Halogen fitting past sell by date most full of water and corroded. Client agreed to have all replaced with IP65 LED's. Have now replaced all fittings IR tested all cables prior to fitting new LED's all good. Also RCD test done + Ramp test Ramp 27Ma and trip times all good. However when Turn On supply RCD does not trip immediately buy holds and then trips anything between 50 seconds to over 6 min. Other than dismantling each light to ID possible rouge light any suggestions?
damp in the cable/s...
IR again...zap it at 1000V....

If your fixed wiring tests out Ok, then its got to be a dodgy fitting. I assume its a radial circuit, so disconnect the last light on the chain, and keep working towards the first till the problem goes away.

Cheers..............Howard

it sounds like damp does that...RCD holding...for a bit then letting go....
dry fittings out and gently play a hairdryer over the cables..gently....drive the damp out...
All new x9 LED fittings also when installing new lights replaced all old corroded connector blocks in IP rated adaptable boxes.

If your fixed wiring tests out Ok, then its got to be a dodgy fitting. I assume its a radial circuit, so disconnect the last light on the chain, and keep working towards the first till the problem goes away.

Cheers..............Howard
Thanks --Yep also think that is only option was clutching at straws as it will now be a time factor as have to stand around waiting for RCD.

Don't start at the end, to be quicker find mid way point and disconnect there. If holds in you know the fault is in the second half.
Also have you checked out the switch? I did some outside light fault finding, found some possible dodgy areas (connector blocks, slight snag to cable etc) fixed each one thinking that had to be it...turned out the switch was faulty! Really intermittent faults are the worst.

it sounds like damp does that...RCD holding...for a bit then letting go....
dry fittings out and gently play a hairdryer over the cables..gently....drive the damp out...

Lol.

Can remember doing that on 3 phase motors that were testing flat tails.
Only thing is we didn't have hair dryers so we used to couple the stick set (welder)on a winding and slowly turn the amps up to dry it out..........had to keep the hand fisted twots away from the dials tho in case they threw 200 amps through the winding lol

Don't start at the end, to be quicker find mid way point and disconnect there. If holds in you know the fault is in the second half.
Also have you checked out the switch? I did some outside light fault finding, found some possible dodgy areas (connector blocks, slight snag to cable etc) fixed each one thinking that had to be it...turned out the switch was faulty! Really intermittent faults are the worst.
Yep could not agree more about intermittent faults and kinda makes you look and feel a little sheepish. Also to make it worse client is a shadow and is looking over your shoulder and questioning every thing ...We have all had them!!. One second he was admiring his new lights and my work as I write out my invoice then POP RCD goes Invoice book goes back into case and a curse under the breath. So back again tomorrow and rain is forecast that will be fun working outside and can see hassle and agro with client with charging for extra hours. Oh joy of joys.

Yep could not agree more about intermittent faults and kinda makes you look and feel a little sheepish. Also to make it worse client is a shadow and is looking over your shoulder and questioning every thing ...We have all had them!!. One second he was admiring his new lights and my work as I write out my invoice then POP RCD goes Invoice book goes back into case and a curse under the breath. So back again tomorrow and rain is forecast that will be fun working outside and can see hassle and agro with client with charging for extra hours. Oh joy of joys.
fault finding is a process of elimination....
but it doesn`t matter if you have to rake over the coals again sometimes....its just the way it is..
charge by the hour on this one...as its better to work on time when faultfinding...

Not a fun day. Ill think of you :) let us know how it goes. Ah an extra shadow, that makes my mind go blank everytime! Try not to worry it will make it all take longer, there is an added bonus to it raining though...surely the customer won't stand out with you!!

Not a fun day. Ill think of you :) let us know how it goes. Ah an extra shadow, that makes my mind go blank everytime! Try not to worry it will make it all take longer, there is an added bonus to it raining though...surely the customer won't stand out with you!!
wont stand there with me either..come rain or shine love...as soon as i can see em being nosy i just start going on to `em about Zs n disconnection times n all that lot....
soon drives em back into the kitchen where they can be useful..

View attachment untitled.bmp

wont stand there with me either..come rain or shine love...as soon as i can see em being nosy i just start going on to `em about Zs n disconnection times n all that lot....
soon drives em back into the kitchen where they can be useful..

View attachment 18362

I love seeing the eyes glaze over when you talk technical....its like your speaking chinese or somet!!lol

Hmm tea and biscuits..best way to knock the price down :)
I do a lot of work in little local villages, or for ahem, older people. Doesn't matter what I talk about they are watching!

fault finding is a process of elimination....
but it doesn`t matter if you have to rake over the coals again sometimes....its just the way it is..
charge by the hour on this one...as its better to work on time when faultfinding...
So True. As said I think client is not going to see reason on a fault finding exercise and want to dip into his deep pockets. He was mumbling that it was all ok before I did RCD test and it all went pear shape after test. Get impression he is thinking I am taking the P

Reply to RCD Tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net