Discuss RCD tripping? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eddyg2007

This is a problem that happens quite regurarly and it happens with diffrent appliances so i assume it is not a faulty appliance and also any socket. e.g You could be watching the tv and then the toaster would get turned on and trip the breaker or vce versa

I was wondering what you guys think the problem could be whether there is too much on and trips it?

Could i up the size of the breaker(32A)?

any1 have suggestions on how to overcome this?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a problem that happens quite regurarly and it happens with diffrent appliances so i assume it is not a faulty appliance and also any socket. e.g You could be watching the tv and then the toaster would get turned on and trip the breaker or vce versa

I was wondering what you guys think the problem could be whether there is too much on and trips it?

Could i up the size of the breaker(32A)?

any1 have suggestions on how to overcome this?

what other circuits are on the rcd

who fitted the rcd board and how long ago any test results

what size breaker they on now

what other circuits are on the rcd

who fitted the rcd board and how long ago any test results

what size breaker they on now

Not sure what other circuits on it as only been phoned about it,

dont know who fitted board

its a 32a socket crcuit

Can you confirm it is an rcd tripping not an mcb or is it an rcbo unit?

It is the RCD main switch that trips all the time

Could it b a faulty RCD main switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest if you have the test gear you clamp the main earth and measure the leakage if you can measure mA scale if not do you have a ramp test facility on your meters and just test the rcd on its own with no outgoings on it then test with outgoings this way you can work out what leakage is present if any.
If the above isnt an option maybe diconnecting each circuit in turn for a day both live and neutral to see if the nuisance tripping stops on any particular circuit.
As a pointer water heaters, showers are prone to leakage with age or anything else with a heating element, also outside light fitting letting in rain just check weather when it trips.

ive found this b4 and it was an immersion heater on its way out try isolating this remember neutral as well as live see if this helps.

I've found that the old-style RCD main switches ( big greenish boxes with the yellow push test button ), if they haven't been operated for sometime, and then are operated, they can inherit a fault that when the supply is under load, it'll trip out the RCD.

Solution was to replace the old RCD with a new one in an enclosure. That sorted the problem out !!!!!

Reply to RCD tripping? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net