Discuss RCD vs MCB... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Does an MCB protect against fault current in the same way as an RCD does? As in, both devices trip by way of detecting imbalance in the Line conductors and thus using magnetism to sprag the switch?

I ask, because if so, I can’t get my head round why an RCD is better than an MCB. I know that it is, and that an RCD detects low level leakage, but if so, what makes the MCB different in that it doesn’t detect low level leakage like an RCD does? Is there a difference in the device mechanics that restricts the amount of leakage an MCB will detect?

Help as always most appreciated.

Think of it as....line and neutral touch mcb will trip...only line or only neutral broken rcd/rcbo will trip.....but invariably the rcd will also trip at the same time as the mcb on short circuit but once the damaged circuit is isolated the rcd (not rcbo) should reset....

Reply to RCD vs MCB... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock