Discuss Rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dave1064

I have a strange fault. I have a split board. 2 rcd's. One keeps tripping but other is fine. I swapped them both and the same happened with the RCD I put in the place of the first one. Rcd's seem to be fine but when installed in that position they trip but are fine when in the other side... I hope that makes sense.

The rcd's are made by sector. They have codes at the bottom where these two rcd's differ. But house next door they are the same... The codes don't seem to be of any importance but if anyone has knowledge on sector rcd's then I'd be happy to hear if these codes have to match.

if the fault is still on the same side of the DB after youn swapped the RCDs, then check the circuits on that side. bound to be an IR failure somewhere.

Why do so many people just assume that an rcd or mcb must be faulty if it trips? Why not assume its doing its job and operating due to a fault?

I'm interested to know how many faulty rcd's people on here have found?

Why do so many people just assume that an rcd or mcb must be faulty if it trips? Why not assume its doing its job and operating due to a fault?

I've only had two in the last 5 years that were actually faulty. That's against hundreds of faulty circuits.

You have proved its not the RCD at fault time to get the test gear out.

Im confused to what the OP is wanting hes as it appears proved the RCD isn't the issue so their must be a fault on the circuits it covers if your not an Electrician its time to get one in to test the circuits if you are im a little gobsmacked your even asking for help without even testing your circuits.

dave:
its nearly every day that we get these threads started on this subject....
no basic pre-testing having been carried out before board changes...
theres 2 threads running rite now on this....
crap....

Im confused to what the OP is wanting hes as it appears proved the RCD isn't the issue so their must be a fault on the circuits it covers if your not an Electrician its time to get one in to test the circuits if you are im a little gobsmacked your even asking for help without even testing your circuits.
dark...
its pathetic is all this....
Electrical Trainee and have a go hero`s

Is it me or did someone suggest that life would be easier once RCDs are used everywhere? Now if only we could educate the same to understand how an RCD works then maybe just maybe we may be safer out there!!

How many times can the same question be asked about an alleged *faulty* Rcd?

Learn your trade before touching any RCDs and give the rest of us a break from them.

No offence Dave1064 sound like you are a have a go hero so 2 things here either get an electrician or if you have test equipment then get testing

Do you think that if it materialises that it's actually a faulty electrician we could swap them out for a decent one?

I do on a regular bases. I would say about 1 in 10 that our company employ last more than 2 weeks :)

Dave, is this a board in your home, which has been working, but now one of the RCD's has operated, or are you an electrician?
If you are an electrician, then you need to get your test gear out and carry out a full spread of tests.
Makes you wonder how we all managed before the internet....

I have a couple from this year in a box of failed parts I keep for interest - one has the N contacts that most times don't quite close, and one that is almost jammed and will only trip maybe 1 out of 10 times when tested. I'd say a faulty RCD is more likely to not trip when it should, than trip when it shouldn't. Again, far more faulty circuits than faulty RCDs.

Reply to Rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net