Discuss RCDs and the Importance of the Test Button. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
done a small job today. just a socket & SFCU ( for a light) in customer's shed, on existing feed. feed cable is 2.5mm on a 16A MCB, RCD protected. cable tested OK, installed bits. Zs 2.4Ω. ramp test of RCD, mft reads>51mS. prerssed test button on RCD (which the customer said had never been done or RCD tripped in 15 years). then re-tested. ramp 27mS. times... 32mSec@ x1. 9mSec@ x5. just goes to show that they can get sticky.

done a small job today. just a socket & SFCU ( for a light) in customer's shed, on existing feed. feed cable is 2.5mm on a 16A MCB, RCD protected. cable tested OK, installed bits. Zs 2.4Ω. ramp test of RCD, mft reads>51mS. prerssed test button on RCD (which the customer said had never been done or RCD tripped in 15 years). then re-tested. ramp 27mS. times... 32mSec@ x1. 9mSec@ x5. just goes to show that they can get sticky.
yes....
and how many customers take any notice of the test quarterly sticker....or are shown functional operation on handover...

Has anyone seen the article on RCDs in the ESC swtched on mag , ESC takes a look at adequacy of RCD main contacts , it's amazing what damage can be done with high fault currents to these contacts , something to consider about the quality off them !!!

Has the shed got its own board with an exported dno's earth? Lol

unfortunately, no to the 1st. and yes to the 2nd. shed is fed with a 2.5mm T/E in plastic flex conduit direct from MCB in CU. it's been there for 18 years, and the job was " stick us a socket and a light on that, mate". " as long as it tests OK" was my reply.

HI,
The Company I used to work for had us pressing the test buttons on RCD's on over 200 sites every 3 months ( as per manufacturers instructions ). Needless to say we integrated this with other maintenance work. Once a year we tested the tripping times of the RCD's and tested the button last. As Tel says they can get a bit 'sticky'.

Regards.

interesting point here....
if...lets say you were on a practical examination for the (now defunct) 2391...and you performed RCD testing at X1/2, X1 & X5...but then did not perform the manual test by use of the devices test button then the lecturer should be noting it against you...
same as the written part of the course....
when asked how to perform testing for disconnection time on say a 30mA RCD ...and you reel off the sequence of tests correctly...but then fail to mention testing by means of the manual test button....there will be marks lost for that...
a typical 1 mark question would be :
how many tests are required for a 30mA RCD to BSEN61008....candidates stating 6 would not get the mark....

Last edited:
I've come across many RCD's that fail on disconnection times and on a leakage current ramp test but then the pass after operating the test button a few times.

Surely if the customer isn't pressing the test button periodically then the RCD should be replaced if it fails tests before the button is operated because it's failing in real life conditions and even if it passes eventually after the test button is pressed, in reality it will not meet disconnection times again after another few months of nobody touching it.

I was told on a recent 2395 course to test the rcd's before pressing the manual test button and one of the reasons amongst others of doing it in that order was that it could influence the test results. That argument could be difficult to prove or disprove I suppose.

agreed. but the problem is that then thousands of RCDs would be condemned. just because manufacturers instructions were not folloewed.

But those manufacturers instructions are aimed at the home owner who has no duty to follow them, not the electrician who does have a duty.

I've come across many RCD's that fail on disconnection times and on a leakage current ramp test but then the pass after operating the test button a few times.

Surely if the customer isn't pressing the test button periodically then the RCD should be replaced if it fails tests before the button is operated because it's failing in real life conditions and even if it passes eventually after the test button is pressed, in reality it will not meet disconnection times again after another few months of nobody touching it.
if the RCD fails to operate 1st time using the manual test button then i was always told it should be condemned...but as has been pointed out....thousands of RCDs would then have to be condemned....a few goes usually loosens em up....
another one as well is an RCD should be replaced everytime it clears a fault....
suppose that puts testing them out to grass then....

bloody hit and miss. either they work or somebody gets fried. who's responsible? sparky who tested it 6 months ago or the manufacturer?

bloody hit and miss. either they work or somebody gets fried. who's responsible? sparky who tested it 6 months ago or the manufacturer?
well i suppose this would be covered by the same rules that apply to ECRs...in that it was good for continued service when the test was conducted

this i think would be down to type testing, recall etc...:smile:

I was told on a recent 2395 course to test the rcd's before pressing the manual test button and one of the reasons amongst others of doing it in that order was that it could influence the test results. That argument could be difficult to prove or disprove I suppose.
I was told the same, I think it was on my 2330 - the sequence of tests (in order) should be:
x1, (both sides) x5 (both sides), x0.5 (both sides), push test button, optional ramp test.

As you say, then you can't 'influence' the results by warming it up by pushing the test button, and having already been tripped several times by the time you come to do the x0.5 test it's less likely to hide any 'nuisance tripping'.
I heard of an electrician who went to fail an rcd in a stage installation and was told "yes it will have failed - rcds need to be warmed up", suggesting you need to pre-empt when the fault will be and go in and warm up the rcd beforehand. I would have said 'warming it up' quarterly (or as a worst case scenario, annually) as recommended should be enough.

Reply to RCDs and the Importance of the Test Button. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock