Discuss RCDs then RCBOs tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can shed any light on an electrical problem I am having.
It started about 8 weeks ago with brief power interruptions causing some of my appliances & electronic devices to trip.
This stopped but the 2 RCDs in my fusebox then started tripping simultaneously.
I had an electrician in who checked the fusebox - all was fine. I then had my fuse box changed from RCDs to rcbos. The trips have continued - all 7 rcbos tripping simultaneously.
The power company have been involved - set up a monitor to record the incoming supply. Nothing out of spec the first time - they then set up a more powerful monitor and are currently going over the data - awaiting results.
I have unplugged/switched off everything in the house at the same time but all RCBOS still trip.
I have gone through each RCBO leaving one off the other six on - no matter which one is off the other six trip out.
I have switched off/unplugged everything and plugged in and switched things on one by one with no trips.
I have had all my wiring tested and certified - all ok.
There is a pattern of sorts - weekdays the trips happen between 7 & 11 am and 3 & 7 pm predominatly. More evenly at weekends.

I have run out of ideas & currently both my energy company and electrician are stumped. I would be grateful for any ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on an electrical problem I am having.
It started about 8 weeks ago with brief power interruptions causing some of my appliances & electronic devices to trip.
This stopped but the 2 RCDs in my fusebox then started tripping simultaneously.
I had an electrician in who checked the fusebox - all was fine. I then had my fuse box changed from RCDs to rcbos. The trips have continued - all 7 rcbos tripping simultaneously.
The power company have been involved - set up a monitor to record the incoming supply. Nothing out of spec the first time - they then set up a more powerful monitor and are currently going over the data - awaiting results.
I have unplugged/switched off everything in the house at the same time but all RCBOS still trip.
I have gone through each RCBO leaving one off the other six on - no matter which one is off the other six trip out.
I have switched off/unplugged everything and plugged in and switched things on one by one with no trips.
I have had all my wiring tested and certified - all ok.
There is a pattern of sorts - weekdays the trips happen between 7 & 11 am and 3 & 7 pm predominatly. More evenly at weekends.

I have run out of ideas & currently both my energy company and electrician are stumped. I would be grateful for any ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Did this Electrician you employed do any testing? whose Idea was it to swap the CU? Did he produce an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC)?

All connections in consumer unit were checked and energy company replaced cut off box. I'll have to check the rest - thanks
You should have been given a EICat the completion of the work, from what you say, you didn't get one.

I would suggest you get the electrician back .......... and ask him to do some more tests including a background earth leakage test.

All RCBO's tripping together is not normal at all .............. in fact its extremely unusual and I would be looking at the incoming supply ... and looking at the variance of the incoming supply - your spark can do this using his MFT.................

Do you have solar panels?

Are any of your neighbours experiencing anything similar?

Have you have any work done in your house recently?

Hi - You've done the right thing to engage DNO and agree with @Murdoch post. I've not seen this fault before, but to take all the rcbo out simultaneously it's either a blindingly silly mistake in your CU or perhaps a DNO issue with their earth. Out of interest, can you advise the type of earthing used? (it will be written on your EIC)

Last edited:
There is a pattern of sorts - weekdays the trips happen between 7 & 11 am and 3 & 7 pm predominatly.

More evenly at weekends.

What does this mean?

Are you on a busy road?

I'm thinking breakdown in the supply neutral ................. seen this on more than one occassion - normally in the head but also underground.

I would be getting the spark to redo the Ze tests ...........

Murdoch, I was just thinking along the same lines regarding a loss of neutral but thinking switching inside the meter of the neutral but it was just a passing thought and there are other members on here that have more insight of metering/supplies.

What about a pic of the EIC; normally gets requested by know. Thought I'd be first in there.

OP, is it possible you can post a pic of your EIC, supply characteristic & test result pages would be nice.

Hi - You've done the right thing to engage DNO and agree with @Murdoch post. I've not seen this fault before, but to take all the rcbo out simultaneously it's either a blindingly silly mistake in your CU or perhaps a DNO issue with their earth. Out of interest, can you advise the type of earthing used? (it will be written on your EIC)

RCDs then RCBOs tripping. Screenshot_20180517-184309 - EletriciansForums.net

What about a pic of the EIC; normally gets requested by know. Thought I'd be first in there.

OP, is it possible you can post a pic of your EIC, supply characteristic & test result pages would be nice.
View attachment 42295 View attachment 42296
What does this mean?

Are you on a busy road?

I'm thinking breakdown in the supply neutral ................. seen this on more than one occassion - normally in the head but also underground.

What does this mean?

Are you on a busy road?

It means trips between 11am and 3pm as well.

So no IR testing done, all LIMS, would never know if any of the circuits were faulty, wonder why did he not do IR testing, did you object to switching things OFF ?i would get him back to do the testing properly, was he a member of any of the CPSchemes like as an example NICEIC, STROMA NAPIT ? No competent Electrician would change a CU without doing some quick IR testing, just incase after changing the CU you would not get the problems you are experiencing, RCD tripping are evidence of an earth fault either L to E or N to E more likely the latter.

Last edited:
RCDs then RCBOs tripping. Screenshot_20180517-184309 - EletriciansForums.net

It means trips between 11am and 3pm as well.

Thats VERY odd

As is the lack of IR testing - so you could have 1 very big intermittent fault that could take out ALL the RCBO's - yes this does happen.

You need a spark with an earth leakage clamp meter

Out of interest, what is happening in your house between 11am and 3pm?

Reply to RCDs then RCBOs tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock