Discuss RCDs tripping at several properties in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a resident at a Park Home site (glorified caravans) with about 50 houses. On Saturday a.m. my fuse box RCD tripped out but only for the sockets. I assumed that I was at fault and proceeded to isolate appliances to find the culprit. That afternoon it went again. At that time I became aware that several (11) of my neighbours were having the same problem. It has continued to trip on about 15 other occasions over the ensuing days. There is no pattern to it. The houses are scattered around the site. It happens at the same time for each house. It only affects the socket circuit. We've had professionals on site who go around scratching their heads. What is going on? Has anybody had a similar experience? It must be an outside influence in my view. I have suggested that the boxes in the houses may be of a similar make and perhaps slightly more sensitive to a spike but that was dismissed out of hand. Any clues?

It is possible only the sockets are on the RCD and it could be due to spiking, is there work going on in the area?

You say 'professionals'? Is that professional electricians or whoever runs the park's own guys?
An electrician will have a tester that will give him the supply voltage reading. I bet its over 250
My money is on outside influence. The nature of holiday and home parks is that the supply isn't great. Probably comes in on an overhead line.
Voltage spike would be first bet. Did any filament type lamps get brighter?
Your 11 neighbours are maybe off the same distribution board on the park, possibly same phase. (There are 3 separate phases, if you're not aware)
I'm surprised the RCD in the hookup unit didn't trip.(or are these units hard wired back to the dis board?)

I worked on a holiday home site for several years, and although not strictly residential we did have people there almost all the time.
Most electrical problems were with moisture getting into hook-ups, customers overloading their 16A supply or DIY installed cables out to sheds.
There was one woman had a 9.5kW shower put in her van, and couldn't understand why it tripped the outside breaker.:rolleyes:
The holiday homes had a 4 way consumer unit with RCD mainswitch and MCB's for the circuits. The bigger residential units might be different now with individual RCBO's?

I'm afraid its just one of those things that you have to deal with.

Hi, Thanks for that, a lot is too technical for me but I'll try and pass it on. The electrician is from outside so should be reliable. Is the voltage (250) tester to be used at individual properties or at any location within the site? Not sure about overhead line. Never noticed one but I'll enquire. I do know that there are three supplies apparently. Odd? Distribution boards and phases are words that have been mentioned but that scenario doesn't fit what is happening. Take my hookup unit. (Googled it) There are four houses on that but only two are tripping. What I can't get is, if it is someone with a diy cable to shed, why should that effect other houses as randomly as it does? Is it possible that a certain make/model of RCD could be more sensitive? It can't be left unresolved as nobody would be able to leave their house unattended for more that a few hours for fear of the freezer defrosting. This is one of those problems where we have to think outside the box (no pun intended-probably an old electricians joke) but the pro and site owners don't seem able to do that at the moment.

the park homes sites that i work on are all hard wired SWA 40A supplies. usually PME.

Static vans do not usually have hook ups, they are hard wired into a supply from a meter in a building around 20-30 mtrs max from the static and the DB in the van is where the trips are, hook ups are for tourers not fixed statics, that said I do not doubt there are statics somewhere connected to a hook up, and as Tel said a lot of supplies to the meters and switches feeding the vans are PME, well around here anyhow.

With 11 supplies affected has the electricity supplier been asked to have a look at their supply? If I recall correctly that's Northern Powergrid 0800 011 3332 :)

Different makes of RCD shouldn't be much different to each other. They are all made to a british standard. And ones fitted in static caravans and double-unit lodges are not inferior in quality to what might be in a normal house.
RCD's and MCB's can deteriorate with age and if they have tripped frequently in the past. Makes them weaker. Unfortunately, our RCD testers only measure how quickly they trip, not if they trip too quick.

It's been something like a voltage spike or lightning? Is there anything on the site or nearby that could bring the voltage down if theres a sudden current demand? Any factories, water treatment works? The list is endless.

The electricians may do an earth loop impedence check at each of the affected properties and compare with the non affected ones.

I'm sure with investigation, the electrician will find something

While you suffer this problem you might reduce the temperature setting of your fridge and freezer as an extra precaution against defrosting or unsafe conditions inside your fridge.

Different makes of RCD shouldn't be much different to each other. They are all made to a british standard. And ones fitted in static caravans and double-unit lodges are not inferior in quality to what might be in a normal house.
RCD's and MCB's can deteriorate with age and if they have tripped frequently in the past. Makes them weaker. Unfortunately, our RCD testers only measure how quickly they trip, not if they trip too quick.

It's been something like a voltage spike or lightning? Is there anything on the site or nearby that could bring the voltage down if theres a sudden current demand? Any factories, water treatment works? The list is endless.

The electricians may do an earth loop impedence check at each of the affected properties and compare with the non affected ones.

I'm sure with investigation, the electrician will find something
A Spike would be logical if all were affected. We are pretty rural and no obvious industrial work. The first day it happened 4 times in one hour. However I did suggest that most houses affected were amongst those that had been here longest. Again I was not listened to. No sudden demand as on three out of four days it has failed around bedtime (10:00ish) and two days at breakfast (7:00ish). All properties are being looked at. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds something dodgy! Watch this space. Thanks.

Sounds like a mains supply issue as you, your neighbours and the street lights are spread over 3 phases. Ask your supplier if they are carrying out any maintenance work on the supply system or if they are aware of any problems. Also Do some research on surge protection, I don't have much experience in surge protection so it's just a thought.
hope this helps. If you find the answer please let us know because it's an interesting situation.

I expect the 11 concerned are on a different phase than the other 28 homes, sounds a bit heath robinson this whole matter
Yes, but it's been OK for 9 years. The odd glitch but nothing out of the ordinary like this. Some matters are very HR but we always thought that this had been done right/professionally. OMG, I'd better get the gas checked! Cheers

Reply to RCDs tripping at several properties in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net