Discuss RE-17th upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Andyrc

Evening all,Just joined the Forum,im 39yrs old,over 20yrs in TRADE (15th/16th ED) and have recently taken the 17th ED "upgrade" a 4 day course! a great bunch on course,But only around 3 out of 11 were full time pro-sparks, There were several "changing careers" etc etc,1 Guy did not know what a COMMANDO PLUG/SOCKET was, and was doing the 17th upgrade, BUT he and all the others passed! I guess? He's now QUALIFIED,with absolutly no EXPERIENCE? how is he going to cope when he comes across a 1960's RED/WHITE/BLUE pvc 3 Core,Connected to a RED/YELLOW/BLUE 3 core and may be? a BROWN/BLACK/GREY pvc 3 core "TRIPLE"...........I STILL HAVE ARGUMENTS WITH EXPERIENCED SPARKS ABOUT NOT USING THE BLACK AS A NEUTRAL on the "new " Colours

I agree totally.
Why is it that anyone at all can take the 17th edition course.
Any time you see someone calling themself a "17th edition electrician" this usually means they have no other qualificaions!

There is a misconception about the wiring regs course, and far too much emphasis is put upon it. In a nutshell the one day, or 4 day regs course is not a way to become an Electrician. It is purely and simply a course on how to read a book. We have to know the theory of what it contains and how to implement it which is where all the years at college etc comes in, this makes an Electrician. Any tom dick or harry can do the regs, cos all you have to do is find an answer, it doesnt matter whether or not you know what it means you just have to answer correctly, and hey presto instant 17th Edition qualified!

I too am 50+ and 14th, 15th 16th and now 17th qualified. Ive had 30+ years in the trade and I had to sit the exam as an NICEIC requirement. I did the 1/2 day update course and sat the exam in the afternoon. The course materials were basically past questions. The exam was 30 multi-choice with virtually all questions covered in the course materials which took only 3 hours to work through. I was the only 'electrician' there with any practical on-site experience. Others had only classroom workshop experience. We are all now qualified to undertake the same work.

So is it time to become more like "gas safe"????? (Each part seperate)

Each discipline seperate. e.g
Safety (required by all engineers)
Domestic installation.
Industrial instalation.
Fire alarms.
Intruder alarms.
Data cabling.
Testing & certification (competency required for each discipline)

Would this show up any real labour shortages in the industry?, instead of agencies sending anyone who has ever wired a plug on to sites as an electrician..?

Hi guys I am a new member. I am 38 yrs old. I have 10yrs overseas experience, and lost 6yrs out while in the UK of the trade due to circumstances beyond my control. Now I want to get back in the trade and I have started on the 17th edition which I was told I can not get in the field without. This I understand will be followed by inspection and testing. How best can I get the UK experience when I finish these courses? What else do I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tindo. I did my 17th in 2008 and have recently found the past papers they gave me at the time. I have scanned them in (PDF format, 4MB file). I can send you a copy, if you are interested. Just let me know your email address.

Hi tindo, Ive sent it. Hope it help you out.

Reply to RE-17th upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock