Discuss Re-commissioning an "old" Solar Thermal system in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Worcester

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here.

Went to see an existing solar thermal system installed 10 or so years ago it has soldered connections - allowed at that time iirc.

Anyway custard is having lots of work done including installing a new unvented dhw cylinder and has asked us if we could drain down, disconnect it from the existing cylinder, hook up to the new one and re-commission.

Generally it's in pretty good condition, and I've checked all the existing joints and they are OK.

So long as the required safety's are in place which in this case is just, the manual reset and check valves. What is your guys take on installing the new pipework to current regs - in this case it will be compression with brass olives from the point it comes into the 'airing' cupboard, and leaving the existing pipework that is working just fine as it is?

I can't see much point in ripping out all the existing which is working OK, even if we wouldn't do it that way now on a new system. (Obviously we'll do all the pressure and saftey tests etc when we re-commission with nice new glycol)

I have repaired old systems that have worked fine with copper pipe and also seen new systems with copper pipe installed by plumbers. I always thought if high temp solder is used its ok to use copper pipe.

if it's been working fine for 10 years there's no reason to think it won't carry on working fine no matter what MCS might think, and luckily it's nowt to do with MCS.

give it a decent flush through though in case the original installers didn't.

I would imagine it's somewhat similar to extending a circuit wired in the old colours with cable of the new colours.
Both are installed to different versions of the regulations, neither is necessarily better though.

As long as it used high temp solder everything should be fine. It would be good practice to upgrade insulation as this will improve performance. Basic system design hasn't changed much over the years. Other thing to check is condition of expansion vessel if it is a pressurised system. High temps can lead to degradation of membrane. Its not an expensive item to replace. Other handy thing is an air scoop if it has a AAV at the highest point. You can either then dispense with the AAV or ensure it is screwed down tight - saves on maintenance in the future.

Thanks guys, my thoughts entirely. I'd even run through the old/new wiring analogy in my mind already.

MCS not relevant, for obvious reasons. We'll commission and test it as if new.

Ironically it has both an air scoop and an AAV!!

Our goal is to touch as little as possible, though we have made them aware that there may be some other bits we have to replace.

Was clearly done to the old standards, lots of things they did then we do to a higher standard now.

Inuslation in pretty good condition in loft, so won't touch it.. Goal is literally only to alter the pipe work where it comes thorugh the ceiling into the AC to hook up to the new cylinder. Haven't decided yet whether to use compression or Mapress/Press-fit yet, we'll probably go solar press-fit as it's easier to install. (Gerberit bunged us a free tool the other day :) after all the stuff we've installed of theirs on biomass and Heat pump systems :) )

Re-commissioning an "old" Solar Thermal system

Why not silver soldier, meets the regs for high temp systems and mcs and looks the business

Re: Re-commissioning an "old" Solar Thermal system

Why not silver soldier, meets the regs for high temp systems and mcs and looks the business
PIA we'll use the solar Xpress fitting that way no hot works. Makes risk assessment and insurance a lot easier :) as well as being more cost effective in the long run.

Reply to Re-commissioning an "old" Solar Thermal system in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock