Discuss Re-energising after fire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I've been asked by a landlord to go to a property to check the electrics which were de-energised by the fire brigade after a smallish fire was started by candles. I've been told there is no obvious damage to the electrical installation but the fire brigade state "Gas and electric have been isolated. do not reinstate until checked by a competent person".

I am unsure whether to demand a full EICR before passing it or just to do a visual check and perhaps a few tests. Has anyone else been in the same boat that can advise?
(other than demand a EICR, solely on just getting more money - I'm busy enough)

Ta.

Hi guys and gals,

I've been asked by a landlord to go to a property to check the electrics which were de-energised by the fire brigade after a smallish fire was started by candles. I've been told there is no obvious damage to the electrical installation but the fire brigade state "Gas and electric have been isolated. do not reinstate until checked by a competent person".

I am unsure whether to demand a full EICR before passing it or just to do a visual check and perhaps a few tests. Has anyone else been in the same boat that can advise?
(other than demand a EICR, solely on just getting more money - I'm busy enough)

Ta.
Well I would carry out a full test and inspection of the effected electrics, prior to re energising as it will be your neck on the line if anything was amiss, if it's just the money you are after, with no concern for the property or the people involved, maybe you should have chosen a different career, Like a Crook.

Just to clarify pete999, I said I don't wish to do it solely for the money (as I agree ripping customers off is wrong) :thumbsup:
Hi Buzz. I did push on what the insurance company wanted but only got a pic of the fire brigade letter in response.
I think I agree with the above and I'll see it first. If it looks like nothing I'll just do some sample inspections/tests on the particular circuits in the area to satisfy myself then email a letter stating exactly what I've done / not done.

But then again.... If I am energising an installation I am then responsible for doing so. If there are any defects anywhere, let alone the fire damaged area, then I would be responsible for energising a dangerous installation??

Get the landlord to confirm in writing if he wants you to undertake an EICR or a visual report only and explain the differences
The LL will know diddly squat about Electrics, the Electrician will or should be able to tell the LL what is required to cover your backside and the LLs after all you are the professional aren't you? If the LL ignores your advice, you have 2 choices do what He / She says or walk away up to you.
[automerge]1582051998[/automerge]
Get the landlord to confirm in writing if he wants you to undertake an EICR or a visual report only and explain the differences
Disagree with your statement Mate sorry.
[automerge]1582052299[/automerge]
test accordantly for that , its down to the insurance company what they want .
Ok fine in principle, but will the Insurance Company pay for your time in court plus expenses if the brown stuff hits the ftion and maybe your freedom, what do you think? me I think you would be on your own, fighting for your reputation and maybe your freedom, don;t trust em Mate.
[automerge]1582052742[/automerge]
Well I would carry out a full test and inspection of the effected electrics, prior to re energising as it will be your neck on the line if anything was amiss, if it's just the money you are after, with no concern for the property or the people involved, maybe you should have chosen a different career, Like a Crook.
OK we are all entitled to our thoughts, why the dislike Mate I would like to know. afterall it's only polite to explain.

Last edited:
I have done a few fire and fire Brigade damaged properties over the years and all the insurance companies have requested a full EICR. They don't want to be paying out again in another few months because of half a job previously. I would either price for a full inspection or walk away!
I've been to small fires like that before where there was luckily very little fire damage but the fire boys have had to unleash a hose for whatever reason, the amount of water that came out of pendants and sockets was mental!!

Maybe you could advise him that ideally, to be absolutely sure of safety, an EICR is advisable subject to visual inspection. You sound very busy so if you don't get the work no problem it sounds like. Ask him if one is due?

I have done a few fire and fire Brigade damaged properties over the years and all the insurance companies have requested a full EICR. They don't want to be paying out again in another few months because of half a job previously. I would either price for a full inspection or walk away!
I've been to small fires like that before where there was luckily very little fire damage but the fire boys have had to unleash a hose for whatever reason, the amount of water that came out of pendants and sockets was mental!!
Good point sparkys. I didn't consider potential water damage which could have got anywhere. I will visit the property tomorrow to see whats what but i expect I will demand a full eicr or walk. No point taking chances with responsibility and I certainly don't want to spend wasted time there for the landlord to come back later saying the insurance comp have decided they want more.
cheers guys for your insight ???

Usually I have found that if the fire hasn't penetrated the plasterboard above the source of the fire cables are usually ok, not always mind you! But yes as helpful as the Brigade boys are they can cause a whole new load of low insulation test results!

Full eicr if you’re putting your name to it being safe for reenergising.
Not a fire, but a flood at my next door neighbours a few years ago. He asked his insurance to get me to do the work. When I went in, one of our other “helpful” neighbours had turned the power back on, and the lights so they could see the extent of the damage.

the smoke detectors were running like a tap.

The first thing to do is to go to the property and have a look at what damage has been done before deciding what is required.

You may find that the fire was indeed small and hasn't actually got near any part of the electrical installation.
Or it may be obvious what damage has occurred and what remedial action is required.

It's also worth noting that an EICR may not be very helpful, there could be no damage caused by the fire but still come out with an unsatisfactory result due to other issues with the installation.

The first thing to do is to go to the property and have a look at what damage has been done before deciding what is required.

You may find that the fire was indeed small and hasn't actually got near any part of the electrical installation.
Or it may be obvious what damage has occurred and what remedial action is required.

It's also worth noting that an EICR may not be very helpful, there could be no damage caused by the fire but still come out with an unsatisfactory result due to other issues with the installation.

exactly why an eicr should be performed.
If you’re going in to say the installation is safe to use, then any problems.... caused by the fire or not.... need to be found.

... And if someone asks for proof you checked it thoroughly then what better than an EICR form.
I'm not convinced that an EICR proves anything... I've seen some very suspicious ones that often bare little resemblance to the installation.

IMG_20200219_111619.jpgIMG_20200219_111452.jpgIMG_20200219_111410.jpgIMG_20200219_111404.jpgIMG_20200219_111438.jpg
I have been to have a look. The landlady is under the impression she can get the tenants back in within a week or so. Like yeh lol.
She wants me to do bare minimum to make it 'safe' so they can return. I have told her it will need an full EICR including pulling up some floor boards to check for water damage etc. The carpets are written off so at least I don't have to worry about them.

I have told her almost all the accessories upstairs, which are at the least smoke damaged, want replacing (including the shower possibly, although it is probably safe if she wants to clean it - which she does).

On top of the fire damage I noticed, while walking around, that there are multiple failures all over the house which would fail an EICR.

She says she wants the bare minimum to be safe and only fire damaged stuff but I won't sign it off until any C1/C2's have been remedied. I'm not taking the chance.

Reply to Re-energising after fire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net