Discuss Re-using panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DomB

I'm trying to find the definitive words on how re-using solar panels affects a customers ability to claim FiTs, I can't see it clearly defined in the Feed in Tarrif documentation anywhere.

Say, for example, they wanted to re-install the panels to a new house, my understanding is that they couldn't then claim the Feed in Tariff on the re-installed system (even if it was re-registered). I just need to find it in writing!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the utilities have told me this but none have provided written evidence. Ted's been missing for a while, he must have been at the wedding :) I'm sure he'll have the details, or maybe Worcester ....

It's on the DECC website somewhere. I'll find it and post it up.

@DomB

There is an interesting discussion going on with Micro-Hydro, where refurbished has been the de-facto norm, even before FITS refurbishment is common place in larger mechanical generation installations.

It's clear what the intention is, though apart from the consultation response document, I too have still to find the de-facto regulation... Will let you know when I find it!

Well here's an interesting twist, a colleague of mine just forwarded this from Gemserv themselves:

The question he asked was "If someone decided to remove the panels from their house from a previously MCS Certified and FITS paying installation, and sell them on, or re-install on a new house, would the new installation qualify for FITS?"

The parameters set out by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) have stated that FITs payments should be going to “as new” installations, so using these solar panels would technically be classed as a second-hand installation. However there is nothing explicitly stated in the documentation as yet that they cannot be used, although this is set to change in the future. As long as the FITs are not already being claimed for these panels, there is current no explicit regulation stipulating that an installer could not use these panels to commission an “as new” installation
Kind regards,
MCS Helpdesk
So, it looks like so long as the system is properly 'decommissioned' as per the requirements, then there is nothing stopping the use of second-hand panels or inverters (YET!)

That's the difference between intention and regulation!

Trotters Independant Panel Installers here we come :cool: never mind the quality see the price! Luvely Jubbly
Warranty? Dell's word not good enough for you?:)

Hmmm, that's odd I'm sure I read it on the DECC website but cannot find it now. If thats what the MCS' word is on the matter then thats it.

Re: Re-using panels - LOOPHOLE CLOSED

One other changed added to "The Feed-in Tariffs (Specified Maximum Capacity and
Functions) (Amendment) Order 2011" which was laid in Parliament on 4th May 2011 and will come into force on 30th May 2011.

Amendment of article 8
8. For article 8 (exceptions to accreditation applicable to all eligible installations) substitute—
“8.—(1) The Authority must not accredit an eligible installation as an accredited FIT
installation where—
(a) the installation has a total installed capacity which exceeds the specified maximum
capacity;
(b) the installation is an extension to—
(i) an accredited FIT installation; or
(ii) another installation using an eligible low-carbon energy source,
and the aggregate total installed capacity of the extension and installation exceeds
the specified maximum capacity; or
(c) electricity from the installation is or has been sold pursuant to a NFFO
arrangement.
(2) The Authority must not accredit an eligible installation as an accredited FIT
installation where it has good reason to believe that any generating equipment used at the
installation has formed part of an installation previously accredited—
(a) under the ROO (other than an installation accredited under article 6 or 7 of this
Order); or
(b) under this Part.
i.e. if was previously used on a ROO or FIT installation, they can't be re-used, nothing stopping you using 'older' ones so long as MCS Certified ..

Thanks Worcester, I think that finally ties down the house-movers.

Interestingly, I take from 8.1 that someone could expand an existing installation so long as 'the aggregate total installed capacity of the extension and installation [does not] exceed the specified maximum capacity'!

Does that mean I could install a very small system as a mark in the sand at this high FiT level and expand that installation later whilst staying on the same, say, 43.1p tarriff !?

"8.—(1) The Authority must not accredit an eligible installation as an accredited FIT installation where—(a)the installation has a total installed capacity which exceeds the specified maximum capacity;
(b)the installation is an extension to—
(i)an accredited FIT installation; or
(ii)another installation using an eligible low-carbon energy source,
and the aggregate total installed capacity of the extension and installation exceeds the specified maximum capacity; or
(c)electricity from the installation is or has been sold pursuant to a NFFO arrangement."

In theory someone could install a 1kW stand-alone system now and expand it within 12 months up to 5MW and stay on the same 30.7p rate thereby getting round the DECC review deadline. You would need to be a brave person to try that though. 43.3p only applies to systems up to 4kW.

(Yes - I was away at a wedding - but a different one!)

Ted you were part right, you can indeed extend a system within the next 12 months but you need a number of things in place in order to do it, you need to meter at the correct voltage which at 5Mw will be a min of 11kv you cant change the meter as it relates to the original grant of tariff rate.

The solicitors reckoned that you also need to install under ROOFiT to start with aswell you need to be over 50Kw before 1 Aug.

Total system would be at a tariff rate fitting the new size but would be classed as being installed at the original 50Kw install date.

TedM, Through a third party who had been talking to a solicitor for a large well known multi national EPC looking at a number of sites in the UK. That was their take on the reg's, they reckoned you couldnt change the size of the meter.

Reply to Re-using panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock