Discuss Re wire estimate 4 bed house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to anyone who reads this and offers any advice.

Sold my house and the buyer requested an electrical inspection report which they paid for. House was built in the 1960s. In average condition but I felt the price reflected this.

Report recommends a full new re wire (which I agree with as the electrics are around 40-50 years old) the report also recommends some other things such as relocation of the DB unit to the garage.

My question is that obviously they want to renegotiate the price of the house (fair enough) but they’ve sent an estimate of £7000 excluding VAT. Minimum price with the potential of it to be more expensive. I’ve spoken to a few friends who are electricians and obviously they haven’t seen the house electrics themselves (and I appreciate no one will have in this forum either) but I’m struggling to comprehend the £7000 figure.

So basically I’m coming to this forum to ask advice of how much you guys think a full rewire of the house Would cost. We live in the north east of England (Newcastle) it’s a 4 bed semi detached house with 2 bathrooms (1 electric shower) and an attached garage with electrics.
4 bedrooms are decent sizes
2 bathrooms
2 reception rooms
A decent size kitchen
A large garage
Large ish hallway

I’m aware that to sell the house with dodgy electrics isn’t a good idea and I’m fully aware I’m going to need to knock some money off the sale price but in my eyes the money I’d knock off would be for a very basic rewire to ensure the electrics complied and were safe. The report may recommend things which are not essential and only a recommendation. But what I don’t want to do is knock off 7k and then them get the re wire a lot cheaper. I’m conscious that the people buying my house have a relative (who also came to view the house and is in the building trade) could be trying to pull a fast one. The buyers were very happy to proceed as fast as possible until their relative came to view the house and then all these issues started being raised.

Again I fully understand when buying a house you don’t want unexpected things to arise that haven’t been mentioned. But the house was priced in the condition it’s in and although I’m happy to negotiate another price I don’t want to be ripped off or taken advantage of. Not moved in a very long time so in sorry if I’m asking questions which are obvious.

I’d just appreciate a little advice or guidance from you experts.

Thanks again

Hi,

Thanks to anyone who reads this and offers any advice.

Sold my house and the buyer requested an electrical inspection report which they paid for. House was built in the 1960s. In average condition but I felt the price reflected this.

Report recommends a full new re wire (which I agree with as the electrics are around 40-50 years old) the report also recommends some other things such as relocation of the DB unit to the garage.

My question is that obviously they want to renegotiate the price of the house (fair enough) but they’ve sent an estimate of £7000 excluding VAT. Minimum price with the potential of it to be more expensive. I’ve spoken to a few friends who are electricians and obviously they haven’t seen the house electrics themselves (and I appreciate no one will have in this forum either) but I’m struggling to comprehend the £7000 figure.

So basically I’m coming to this forum to ask advice of how much you guys think a full rewire of the house Would cost. We live in the north east of England (Newcastle) it’s a 4 bed semi detached house with 2 bathrooms (1 electric shower) and an attached garage with electrics.
4 bedrooms are decent sizes
2 bathrooms
2 reception rooms
A decent size kitchen
A large garage
Large ish hallway

I’m aware that to sell the house with dodgy electrics isn’t a good idea and I’m fully aware I’m going to need to knock some money off the sale price but in my eyes the money I’d knock off would be for a very basic rewire to ensure the electrics complied and were safe. The report may recommend things which are not essential and only a recommendation. But what I don’t want to do is knock off 7k and then them get the re wire a lot cheaper. I’m conscious that the people buying my house have a relative (who also came to view the house and is in the building trade) could be trying to pull a fast one. The buyers were very happy to proceed as fast as possible until their relative came to view the house and then all these issues started being raised.

Again I fully understand when buying a house you don’t want unexpected things to arise that haven’t been mentioned. But the house was priced in the condition it’s in and although I’m happy to negotiate another price I don’t want to be ripped off or taken advantage of. Not moved in a very long time so in sorry if I’m asking questions which are obvious.

I’d just appreciate a little advice or guidance from you experts.

Thanks again
Techincally you don't need to knock any money off as aren't houses sold as seen these days ? The buyer may want to negotiate themselves a discount but if you have shaken on a price already then you are in your rights to say no to any discount. That said the chances are the buyer will pull out of the sale , so you go back to square one.

You could probably do a Very basic rewire for about £5000, Very basic. A couple double sockets in every room , a pendant light in each room , a bit of 2 way switching and maybe a couple outside lights.

£7000 would allow for extras like garage power , some data points and maybe some led down lights on dimmers etc

It's a bitty you should have came here first and would have given you a answer, no
Person has a write to ask for monie off the price of a house the way the market is.

I would just say no personally. But then it all depends how desparate you are to get shot of the house and get your hands on the cash. Maybe 50/50 i.e. offer 3k off but no more. This is always a sticking point. Well maybe not always but some people do like to try it on. I have sold a few houses and know only too well the game of getting a lesser price. Most people do not take the p***, when someone expects the whole price taken off for the rewire you know they are taking the proverbial. Don't let them get away with it. Price wise for your region I would have thought that is a bit steep, and as for "may cost more" definitely taking the you know what.

Just because someone has said it needs a rewire, doesn't mean that the whole lot needs rewiring.
without seeing the report it is not easy to judge but a 40 year old installation should, if it has not been messed with be brought up from an unsatisfactory to a satisfactory EICR report with a lot less than a rewire.

If you have not seen the report in full then take it all as bull pooo

I expect it has reports of no rcd protection etc, maybe no cpc to lights.
Most things could possibly be sorted with a new consumer unit (fuse board)
If that is the case then budget £500 to 1K

The quote for the rewire is likely to be for a full bells and whistles installation, incorporating all the bits the new owners want, just as they would if they were designing a new build for themselves.
There's a world of difference between that, and doing what work is needed to give the house a satisfactory EICR.
It's a bit like doing a bit of welding and a few new parts on an old car, to get it through an MOT test, as opposed to doing a full restoration on it and bringing it up to concours standards.
Of course, if they're going to do the full rewire anyway, most of the work you do will be a complete waste of money, so it's that figure you should be knocking off the price, and selling the house as is.

So are they going to ask for a discount for redecoration...new carpets, curtains and some fittings....NO...If they want it rewired then they should pay for it

As has already been stated , if you listed your house at a reasonable price based on it being average condition for its age then the price is the price. I would never knock a further 7000£ off the price after a sale price was agreed. For 2 reasons...

1# £7000 is a very posh re-wire for your area , at most a basic rewire £5000 MAX and I mean MAX.
2# What if next week they ask to pop round and see an issue with the boiler or something else, they will almost certainly ask you for more money off.

Me being me , I would tell them do one.

To a certain extent, your response might be influenced by how much interest there has been in the house vs. how desperate you are to sell. I'm hearing in some places of houses selling for above asking price, due to a lack of available houses and high demand.

If you have keen buyers, and you are not in an especial hurry if this sale does fall through, I'd politely tell them it is priced according to its current condition, and if it had been rewired, you be adding another £10k to the asking price.

I've bought and sold many houses over the years... and as a buyer, the main purpose of a survey (whether structural, electrical etc.) is for them the decide whether to go through with the purchase (the survey might show up something that's serious and hence a showstopper)... or renegotiate the price based on whatever can be found in the surveys. So what's happening to you... is quite normal. In the current market (buoyant) I'd be suggesting to the buyer that the price is the price.

As has already been stated , if you listed your house at a reasonable price based on it being average condition for its age then the price is the price. I would never knock a further 7000£ off the price after a sale price was agreed. For 2 reasons...

1# £7000 is a very posh re-wire for your area , at most a basic rewire £5000 MAX and I mean MAX.
2# What if next week they ask to pop round and see an issue with the boiler or something else, they will almost certainly ask you for more money off.

Me being me , I would tell them do one.
That surprises me Dusty.
I think £7000 sounds reasonable and usually your prices are higher than mine.
I bet if you worked this rewire out at £60 a point (plus the usual extras), £7000 would be about right.

The house is for sale as it is .Not how the buyers expect it to be etc . What they want to do is up to them,You have asking price that is what you want for the value of the house as it stands .They either buy or you continue to accept offers etc .

That surprises me Dusty.
I think £7000 sounds reasonable and usually your prices are higher than mine.
I bet if you worked this rewire out at £60 a point (plus the usual extras), £7000 would be about right.
I was adjusting my price to take into consideration that the OP is in the North East , a 4 Bed Rewire in my area if I did it on my own in an empty house would be about 10 grand, this would include lots on extras like garage power , lots of sockets , led down lights , dimmers etc etc

I was trying to suggest a figure that a basic re-wire could be achieved for the purpose of splitting bread with a potential buyer. £5000 would be what I would knock off the price if desperate to sell , allowing any potential buyer enough off to get a basic re-wire done/

But as I say, if the house was priced 'as is' then I would not knock a penny off the price once agreed as it is sold warts and all. I can't stand people who try to re-negotiate the price once it is agreed

My red flag here is that no EICR would ever recommend relocation of a consumer unit elsewhere in the dwelling (unless it was somewhere stupid like a bathroom). This, to me, smacks of them wanting you to take the hit of what they would want to do as an 'upgrade' (the correct word in these situations I believe is 'betterment'). You say that they paid for it, was it their electrician who came out and did the 'report'? You might find that the relatively small cost of having your own inspection done could prove invaluable here. I know a very honest and good electrician up your way if you need one - DM me.

7K is taking the pi$$. up there a coule of Geordies will do you a full rewire for a crate of Newcastle Brown and a carton of smokes. 🤣🤣

Certainly shouldn't expect to pay for relocating the consumer unit, so I'd knock £1k off for that and as you acknowledge it is a 50-60 year installation and some (not all) may need rewiring so as suggested earlier meet them half way offer £3k off asking price.

If you've factored in the condition of the house (including electrics) then stick to your guns. At the end of the day you're negotiating a price which will be influenced on market forces, how much they want to buy and how much you want to sell. If you've factored wiring in to the price then tell them to "f" off.. 😎 Quotes for rewiring will vary massively according to spec and spark. Don't waste energy thinking about it.

Reply to Re wire estimate 4 bed house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock