Discuss Re wireable cu & the 17th ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rallyandy

http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG4_08.pdfHi guys (and gals)
have a query to help me clear up, if a domestic installation has a re wireable type fuseboard it is deemed by the Electrical Safety Council in best practice guidance 4 to be deemed as not departures from from the 17th.
my question is surely you cant prove all cables buried in walls are more than 50mmdeep or in earthed conduit / metal protection, so surely they would need RCD protection ?

many thanks ,
your thoughts please or is just me ( usually is :))

Last edited by a moderator:
it's saying that having a rewireable fuseboard is ok (provided it complied at the time of installation)

but socket outlets which could reasonably be used to supply hand-held or portable equipment for use outdoors should be protected by an RCD.

code 4 on the sockets not having RCD protection, no code/comment for the fuseboard

sorry this was a while ago, i believe that if you read page 15/16 of the link provided it gives some guidance on which code to use

and as far as not knowing if the cables are buried deeper than 5cm or in earthed metal conduit, the regulations would reccomend that the duty holder should err on the side of safety (althought the earthed metal conduit is easily ascertained through testing resistance)

thanks for the responses, its getting clearer now, i thought it would be better to err on the side of caution and future proof an installation as well with recommending a cu change :)

Reply to Re wireable cu & the 17th ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net