Discuss Re-wiring a house where Glis Glis (rodents) are an issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ipf
That is just what I was thinking.
I plan to do to this in Suffolk cottage due to past rat evidence and not wanting to cut large holes in a listed building.
MICC makes for a neat surface installation.

ipf
That is just what I was thinking.
I plan to do to this in Suffolk cottage due to past rat evidence and not wanting to cut large holes in a listed building.
MICC makes for a neat surface installation.
It certainly does, Billy. Good luck with the cottage... it doesn't all have to be surface though, as you probably know.

It certainly does, Billy. Good luck with the cottage... it doesn't all have to be surface though, as you probably know.

It is also partly due to a lengthy plan to reduce drafts as and when repairs are required.

I just need to find if it is worth borrowing the use of someones trade account to buy some MICC or trying to set up one with the wife's gardening business.
MICC is horribly expensive retail.

It is also partly due to a lengthy plan to reduce drafts as and when repairs are required.

I just need to find if it is worth borrowing the use of someones trade account to buy some MICC or trying to set up one with the wife's gardening business.
MICC is horribly expensive retail.

MICC is expensive wherever you get it from, I think the last time I bought some new it was over £600 for a drum of 2l1.5.
I usually buy old stock or part drums when people clear out their stores.

Mineral insulated would cost an arm and a leg, run all the final circuits using SWA cable. :)

Mineral insulated would cost an arm and a leg, run all the final circuits using SWA cable. :)

SWA isn't rodent proof.

They just chew all the outer sheath off, then once enough is removed the armor ends up splaying out and they just go through the strands and continue.

Got a photo somewhere an it's pretty impressive.

Granted, it'll last significantly longer than t&e.

MICC or steel conduit would be my preferred method here.

I know this property doesn't have a thatched roof, but is there still stipulation to only use MICC or steel contained wiring in the 18th?

SWA isn't rodent proof.

They just chew all the outer sheath off, then once enough is removed the armor ends up splaying out and they just go through the strands and continue.

Got a photo somewhere an it's pretty impressive.

Granted, it'll last significantly longer than t&e.

MICC or steel conduit would be my preferred method here.

I know this property doesn't have a thatched roof, but is there still stipulation to only use MICC or steel contained wiring in the 18th?
Agreed it's not rodent proof, just more rodent resistant but easier/cheaper to install and replace in future if damaged.

I've also got photos somewhere that prove SWA isn't porcupine proof either. :D

Rodents won't even notice the metal screen in FP, they'll be straight through that.

This kind of use of FP as a one size fits all cable winds me up. it's a fire performance cable, great for fire alarms and other things where fire performance is an essential requirement, but when fire performance eisnt required why use it?
I have read some evidence somewhere online that the outer sheath of FP is not palatable to rodents and can be considered 'resistant'..I think it was in some manufacturers blurb that I sent to an insurance company for consideration back along...The underwriters were not convinced and made us put the (existing) FP in metal trunking.

Reply to Re-wiring a house where Glis Glis (rodents) are an issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock