Discuss Really old memshield 3 phase board. New install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cateringENGINEE

Hi
I have a 3 phase cooker range to install on unbalanced loads 47a / 9a / 9a.
Apparently.... I need to confirm that..
it needs a new supply that is rcd protected.
My problem is the board that it is coming from is a old memshield board 3 phase with all individual bs88 fuse carriers and no main switch isolator.
ive not come across one of these before. Usually it's a new mcb in the board and job done.
looking on the fuse carriers they mostly say 30a which I'm thinking I can't put a 50a fuse in them so would I need a new carrier?
my original idea was to put an ad box mounted to the side of the board and bring tails from the 3 phases neutral and earth through to a 3 phase rcd/mcb set up.

50a bs88 fuses - rcd - mcb - rotary isolator - appliance

i have pictures of the board and fuse carrier but don't know how to put the pics on here..?

any help or guidance would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi
it needs a new supply that is rcd protected ,. why the need for RCD? is cable buried in wall <50mm?
My problem is the board that it is coming from is a old memshield board 3 phase with all individual bs88 fuse carriers and no main switch isolator.there will be one. usually below the DB.
ive not come across one of these before. Usually it's a new mcb in the board and job done.
looking on the fuse carriers they mostly say 30a which I'm thinking I can't put a 50a fuse in them so would I need a new carrier. need a pic to see if the fuse carriers will take higher rated fuses.
my original idea was to put an ad box mounted to the side of the board and bring tails from the 3 phases neutral and earth through to a 3 phase rcd/mcb set up. might be the best option. depends on above criteria

i have pictures of the board and fuse carrier but don't know how to put the pics on here..? top of reply box, 3rd icon from right. insert image. select from computer and upload. or use photobucket.

thanks

comments in red.

Hi
it needs a new supply that is rcd protected.
My problem is the board that it is coming from is a old memshield board 3 phase with all individual bs88 fuse carriers and no main switch isolator.
looking on the fuse carriers they mostly say 30a which I'm thinking I can't put a 50a fuse in them so would I need a new carrier?
my original idea was to put an ad box mounted to the side of the board and bring tails from the 3 phases neutral and earth through to a 3 phase rcd/mcb set up.

i have pictures of the board and fuse carrier but don't know how to put the pics on here..?

thanks

As a five week wonder (if you're not familiar with that term it essentially means that the electrical 'qualifications' you hold amount to the sum total of Jack all), at the very best you are considering taking on work here that is way out of your depth. It could easily be argued that by taking on any electrical work whatsoever you would be out of your depth, let alone three phase work in a commercial kitchen. Certain parts of your question demonstrate this quite succinctly.

You want guidance? Get a qualified electrician to carry out this work. Sorry to be blunt but it is quite clear that you don't have a clue.

thanks

Rcd- manufacture spec to install with rcd

still cant load any pics. i go onto reply and click on insert image and all it comes up with is "add image with url"

at the bottom on post permission it says: you may not post attatchments?

i can email you the board and carrier unless theres another way?

thanks

thanks

Rcd- manufacture spec to install with rcd

still cant load any pics. i go onto reply and click on insert image and all it comes up with is "add image with url"

at the bottom on post permission it says: you may not post attatchments?

i can email you the board and carrier unless theres another way?

thanks

open up a photo bucket account, upload your photos to photo bucket, this will give your photo a URL, get this number and type it in when it comes up with '' Add image with url"

thanks ive managed to sort it..
1269B623-8B14-415C-953B-9FB8D3F2CDAA_zpszzo0deyp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CF4DA8E1-78E8-4407-92D5-0B0362641992_zpsjmhwhwue.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mate, don;t want to burst your bubble, or take the mick, if I was you I would get someone who knows what they are about to do this work as Mr Skelton said you sound a bit out of your depth.

As a five week wonder (if you're not familiar with that term it essentially means that the electrical 'qualifications' you hold amount to the sum total of Jack all), at the very best you are considering taking on work here that is way out of your depth. It could easily be argued that by taking on any electrical work whatsoever you would be out of your depth, let alone three phase work in a commercial kitchen. Certain parts of your question demonstrate this quite succinctly.

You want guidance? Get a qualified electrician to carry out this work. Sorry to be blunt but it is quite clear that you don't have a clue.

not quite a 5 week wonder.. but i have been doing it for the last 5 years, unfortunately in that time ive not managed to see every type of set up of the 1900's and need to ask questions from time to time from people that have, hence me raising the question.
ive gone into detail about the proposed setup to give people an idea of what im trying to achieve. if i could of put the picture up in the first place then we wouldnt be here now.
i would rather know then presume.

there is bigger...

one last week was 55a per phase but this paticular one is unbalanced 47a on one phase and 2 at 9a.

i need to double check that though because that information doesnt sound right.

not quite a 5 week wonder.. but i have been doing it for the last 5 years, unfortunately in that time ive not managed to see every type of set up of the 1900's and need to ask questions from time to time from people that have, hence me raising the question.
ive gone into detail about the proposed setup to give people an idea of what im trying to achieve. if i could of put the picture up in the first place then we wouldnt be here now.
i would rather know then presume.

I'm not here to argue with you, nor am I here to be disparaging towards you. Evidently however you are way out of your depth. Your lack of knowledge surrounding the existing set up is just the beginning, your design knowledge is poor at best.

You may well have been doing this for five years, that doesn't mean to say you've been doing it correctly for five years!

Seriously, this isn't a personal attack fella. Get someone who is qualified to carry out this work.

im not here to aruge with anyone, i was just after information on a distribution board that i have come across and a setup i was proposing with an unfamiliar board thats all.. maybe ive gone into too much detail.

im not here to aruge with anyone, i was just after information on a distribution board that i have come across and a setup i was proposing with an unfamiliar board thats all.. maybe ive gone into too much detail.

Nope, detail is a good thing. It allows us not only to see the level of problem you're facing, bit with your suggested solution it allows us to see your current level of skill. At present it is below the level required of someone messing around with three phase commercial ovens.

You aren't paying attention to the crux of the response.

Get someone qualified to do the job!

Nope, detail is a good thing. It allows us not only to see the level of problem you're facing, bit with your suggested solution it allows us to see your current level of skill. At present it is below the level required of someone messing around with three phase commercial ovens.

You aren't paying attention to the crux of the response.

Get someone qualified to do the job!

ok firstly you say the op hasnt got a scooby doo because it cant possibly be right that an oven can be 50a per phase when there are plenty out there and and some the are higher per phase. i know, because thats what i do.

whats wrong with what i proposed to do in your opinion?

do you personally have experience with boards like this?

i dont, as in the inprinted writing on the fuse carriers, is that the maximum the carrier can take? the answer is more than likely yes. but there is no carriers with 50 amp on them does that mean that old board set up is not designed to take loads larger than 30a max? i dont know because ive not come across it before.
i could ring eaton memshield up and they could give me information on it, but ive come on here instead to see if anyone could help with some information.

keep saying get someone qualified in isnt answering the questions that im asking is it, weather im to do the job or not.

I used to install those MEM boards.
You can't change the Carriers (pair) for larger ones, their max rating is as identified on the carrier.

If the spec of the oven IS as stated unbalanced, which I doubt, then as is being suggested above you need a lot more thought into the design of the new installation.

ok firstly you say the op hasnt got a scooby doo because it cant possibly be right that an oven can be 50a per phase when there are plenty out there and and some the are higher per phase. i know, because thats what i do.

whats wrong with what i proposed to do in your opinion?

do you personally have experience with boards like this?

i dont, as in the inprinted writing on the fuse carriers, is that the maximum the carrier can take? the answer is more than likely yes. but there is no carriers with 50 amp on them does that mean that old board set up is not designed to take loads larger than 30a max? i dont know because ive not come across it before.
i could ring eaton memshield up and they could give me information on it, but ive come on here instead to see if anyone could help with some information.

keep saying get someone qualified in isnt answering the questions that im asking is it, weather im to do the job or not.

I give up!

As per the wise words of my Jock pal Mr Bannatyne, "I'm out!"

anyone who designs an oven with the loads that far out of balance should take up plumbing. can't see those figures being correct.

Reply to Really old memshield 3 phase board. New install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net