Discuss Rear Wiper motor relay wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

3wheeler

DIY
Reaction score
My rear wiper motor is connected via a Lucas SRB501 5pin relay from the loom to the motor. I have no reference for wiring. The motor has power as it parked, but won't operate from its brand new switch. I just wanted to double check my wiring, before ordering a new relay, if it is needed. So far, my terminals are earths to 87 and 85. Orange from 87a goes to the wiper motor, and Light green/red comes from the main loom to 86. Another Light green/red goes from 30 to the motor. Theres also a Blue with a brown dot-style tracer from the motor that connects to light green (or green) on the loom. Lastly, the earths are all linked. I don't suppose this matters? I hope someone can help, thanks :)

Is the Lucas relay close to the rear wipe motor or is it remote? This question helps me work out if the motor is switched on the ground (negative) side or the positive side of the battery.

Is the Lucas relay close to the rear wipe motor or is it remote? This question helps me work out if the motor is switched on the ground (negative) side or the positive side of the battery.
Its a Reliant Robin, so fibreglass. They used many motors etc, but I believe this is a Vauxhall unit of somekind, and has the plastic bodied relay screwed to the metal motor body. Theres a seperate earth from the motor body and from what I can see, they are all interconnected with 2 connections on the relay. :)

Could you take a photo of the relay terminals and the motor showing in both the wire and post it to me?

When you operate the rear wiper switch off/on/off can you hear the Lucas relay click closed and then open?

Is it a single speed wiper motor?

Do you have a multimeter to measure voltage and resistance?

:)

PS: What a great sounding place to live in!

Marconi

Could you take a photo of the relay terminals and the motor showing in both the wire and post it to me?

When you operate the rear wiper switch off/on/off can you hear the Lucas relay click closed and then open?

Is it a single speed wiper motor?

Do you have a multimeter to measure voltage and resistance?

:)

PS: What a great sounding place to live in!

Marconi
Hi Thanks, yes its Wurzel Gummage lol, and it is a single speed motor. I have a multimeter and a power probe for what its worth, and I can get a pair of ears next to the relay. When I connected the leads as per my photos and diagrams, the motor parked but then the new switch won't work the wiper. One further press and it operates the washer motor, so the switch works. I have tested the wiring there. I think its either the way the wiring is connected to the relay, or a blown relay (as the wiper motor operated to park). Please let me know if these files are OK.

Attachments

• 20200430_101433[1].jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200430_101512[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200430_101501[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
LOve the pictures of the dog - puppy? A Jack Russell like we have?

Perhaps have another go - finger trouble methinks :cool:

Is there a rear wash motor too?

Last edited:
LOve the pictures of the dog - puppy? A Jack Russell like we have?

Perhaps have another go - finger trouble methinks :cool:

Is there a rear wash motor too?
Thats interesting how the puppy got in there- its a Beagle/Spaniel cross. 9 weeks old! My ankles are well and truly perforated. Yes the rear wash motor, powered off of the same switch works OK. Thanks btw I have uploaded the files as jpegs, but its telling me they aren't, so please let me know if they actually work!
[automerge]1588242236[/automerge]
Have you checked for damage where the harness comes through the tailgate/door?
Yes, and there was some damage to the insulation. Minor small amounts. The loom is bonded into the inner and outer skins of the tailgate during manufacture, so its a major, messy angle grinding job to replace the wires, and so easier to delete the wiper lol

I saw one on the roadside once , just the steering wheel , engine, and chassis left, even the tyres had burned off.
Good luck with it anyway mate. Marconi will sort you out. :)

Sir, Would you like to have some fun with your multimeter? We need to identify the wires on the wiper motor. What would be helpful is if you could take some resistance measurements. Select 'Ohms' on your meter and the lowest resistance scale. Check the Ohmmeter works by touching the probes together - the scale should read 0 Ohms or thereabouts - tell me what resistance you measured.

Now completely disconnect the wiper motor. Then study the attachment 'wipermotor' below. You will see three wires to the wire motor which I have labelled A, Park and Run. These are the wires we need to identify. If you have more than three wires don't go any further but do tell me.

Now label somehow the three wires as '1', '2' and '3'.

Using you Ohmmeter measure the resistance between these pairs and tell me the results:

1 and 2
1 and 3
2 and 3

Attachments

• wipermotor.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 6
Sir, Would you like to have some fun with your multimeter? We need to identify the wires on the wiper motor. What would be helpful is if you could take some resistance measurements. Select 'Ohms' on your meter and the lowest resistance scale. Check the Ohmmeter works by touching the probes together - the scale should read 0 Ohms or thereabouts - tell me what resistance you measured.

Now completely disconnect the wiper motor. Then study the attachment 'wipermotor' below. You will see three wires to the wire motor which I have labelled A, Park and Run. These are the wires we need to identify. If you have more than three wires don't go any further but do tell me.

Using you Ohmmeter measure the resistance between these pairs and tell me the results:

1 and 2
1 and 3
2 and 3
Thats great. Thanks, I will do this tomorrow as today is 'queue at Sainsburys day' and take it to the in-laws, so bear-with as they say! :)

Thats great. Thanks, I will do this tomorrow as today is 'queue at Sainsburys day' and take it to the in-laws, so bear-with as they say! :)
Finally, I've had time to take the motor off, and put it on my dining table with the multimeter. Before I start, there are 4 connections plus earth. Hopefully the attached image will show this. The wires are 1) Orange, 2) Blue with brown dots. These seem to be a park switch, perhaps. Then theres 3)Red and Light Green and 4) Blue with brown dots. going to the motor itself. Both of the Blue/Brown ones are joined so the motor has 3 wires + a seperate earth connected to the casing.
[automerge]1588432875[/automerge]

1 and 2
1 and 3
2 and 3
Finally, I've had time to take the motor off, and put it on my dining table with the multimeter. Before I start, there are 4 connections plus earth. Hopefully the attached image will show this. The wires are 1) Orange, 2) Blue with brown dots. These seem to be a park switch, perhaps. Then theres 3)Red and Light Green and 4) Blue with brown dots. going to the motor itself. Both of the Blue/Brown ones are joined so the motor has 3 wires + a seperate earth connected to the casing.
[automerge]1588433362[/automerge]

1 and 2
1 and 3
2 and 3
I assume 1 is 'A (Blue/Brown)
2 is Park (Orange)
3 is Run (Red/LtGreen)
Set Multimeter to 20Ohms, and resistance of touching probes is 0.6
1 and 2 = 1
1 and 3 = 53
2 and 3 = 1

Whaddya think? :)

Last edited:
Hello. Greetings from London.

You tell me the the motor has effectively 3 wires and a fourth one connected to the casing.

If you can label the wires 1, 2, 3 and 4(the one connected to the casing)

would you please measure the resistances:

1-2
1-3
1-4
2-3
2-4
3-4

:cool:
[automerge]1588434373[/automerge]
When you have taken these measurements would you be able to apply 12V across 1 and 3 to power up the motor briefly to move it away from the parked position?

And then take the same set of paired resistance measurements again please?
[automerge]1588435290[/automerge]
I need a set of readings for the wiper in the parked position and another set for when it is away from the parked position.

I will not be able to look again at what you send me until tomorrow morning I'm afraid.

Last edited:

You tell me the the motor has effectively 3 wires and a fourth one connected to the casing.

1-2
1-3
1-4
2-3
2-4
3-4

When you have taken these measurements would you be able to apply 12V across 1 and 3 to power up the motor briefly to move it away from the parked position?

Ok.. Here goes :)
1= Blue/Brown
2= Orange
3= Red/LtGreen
4= Black

1-2= 1
1-3= .05
1-4= 1
2-3= 1
2-4= 1
3-4= 1
Applied power with probe (+ve) to 1 and 3 and the motor moved.
:D
[automerge]1588436186[/automerge]

1-2
1-3
1-4
2-3
2-4
3-4

[automerge]1588435290[/automerge]
I need a set of readings for the wiper in the parked position and another set for when it is away from the parked position.

I will not be able to look again at what you send me until tomorrow morning I'm afraid.
Hi thats no problem, I really appreciate this. So to recap, Parked readings:
1-2= 1
1-3= .05
1-4= 1
2-3= 1
2-4= 1
3-4= 1
And unparked:
1-2=1
1-3=.02
1-4=1
2-3=1
2-4=.03
3-4=1
Have a great evening. Beef Rendang Curry for us!
Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Reply to Rear Wiper motor relay wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net