Discuss Rear Wiper motor relay wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good morning. Even with a good strong coffee I regret I am confused by your resistance measurements. When you report '1' do you means 1 Ohm or what is displayed on your meter which if it is a digital multimeter often indicates 'infinity' or open-circuit?

The digital meter(DM) will display '1' if the resistance is greater than the current range scale - you said earlier you selected the 20 Ohm range scale so any reading above 20 Ohms would display a '1' on a DM.

And then sometimes you report 0.05, 0.02 and 0.03. Are these Ohms or kiloOhms?

To clarify things for me then could you take the readings again and tell me which range scale you have used and whether 1 refers to 1 Ohm of infinity? Again for parked and unparked.

Sorry to muck you about.

Regards

Marconi

A third cup of coffee may have helped me.

I have attached a drawing showing what I think each wire is for on the wiper motor and how these are connected to the Lucas relay. There is also a table of resistance measurements which I expect you will measure if my drawing and wire colours are correct. The measurements are for when the motor is disconnected from the relay and loom. If the wire colours are difficult to make out they are numbered as you did in your last message to me.

I am having difficulty attaching the image. Will try later.

A third cup of coffee may have helped me.

I have attached a drawing showing what I think each wire is for on the wiper motor and how these are connected to the Lucas relay. There is also a table of resistance measurements which I expect you will measure if my drawing and wire colours are correct. The measurements are for when the motor is disconnected from the relay and loom. If the wire colours are difficult to make out they are numbered as you did in your last message to me.

I am having difficulty attaching the image. Will try later.
Hi Marconi
Thats awesome, and I have been having trouble attaching images too. I set it to 20Ohms on my digital multimeter. Thats the setting it stayed on for all readings.
The diagram will be very helpful, and yes, no problem to retake readings, and set the meter to your preferred scale too.
Cheers

Wait until you see my diagram before taking any more readings. I don't think the attachment problem will be fixed today so don't waste time looking for it until tomorrow onwards.

Wait until you see my diagram before taking any more readings. I don't think the attachment problem will be fixed today so don't waste time looking for it until tomorrow onwards.
Ok, no worries, I am puppy sitting and have fitted other electrical items today (that work!) like a fuel sender etc. Thanks again :)

3wheeler: Still having problems attaching file - it keeps saying 'not an image as expected...'

If you send me a Private Message with your email address I can send you the coloured diagram that way. Or I can post it to you.

3wheeler: Still having problems attaching file - it keeps saying 'not an image as expected...'

If you send me a Private Message with your email address I can send you the coloured diagram that way. Or I can post it to you.
Hi my email is in a message
, but I had exactly that message for all my attachments, so it may work still. Give it a go, but no worries with the email. Thanks for trying!

(I am experimenting posting pictures to the web and then publishing a link to them as suggested by pc1966 - thank you for the tip. I posted to google photos.)

This is a diagram of what I think is the wiring for the OP's rear wiper motor on a Robin Reliant. It has an interesting feature if you fancy studying the circuit. Auto-electricians will be well aware of it but it was a new discovery for me to find it used in car-electrics.

Sign in - Google Accounts - https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMRpMPurr_9kSdGfObgbaV7ZvtZ910GEJ2kDor2

Not the best of photos but if one zooms in the clarity improves.

I hope that threewheeler will see this and post some pictures of his refurbishment project.

Last edited:
(I am experimenting posting pictures to the web and then publishing a link to them.)

This is a diagram of what I think is the wiring for the OP's rear wiper motor on a Robin Reliant. It has an interesting feature if you fancy studying the circuit. Auto-electricians will be well aware of it but it was a new discovery for me to find it used in car-electrics.

Sign in - Google Accounts - https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMRpMPurr_9kSdGfObgbaV7ZvtZ910GEJ2kDor2
Hi Marconi, I'll take a look. I have had to take a couple of days off it, as the weather here isn't so good, and I don't have a garage! Cheers

Reply to Rear Wiper motor relay wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net