Discuss Reason for theEICR???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals,

So Im doing an EICR on Sat for a customer. Now the story is, he had some work done a bit ago, an extra lighting circuit, an extra socket circuit and a smoke alarm circuit, all fed from an extra cu. Now the problem hes got is the work was done by John Wayne & Billy the Kid, so there is no cert and they are no were to be seen. Now this work was done on his extension so the man from LABC wants to see some paper work. The customer explained his problem to LABC and he said he could get an EICR done as long as it was a full one. Now Ive done a fair few PIRs before but never one for a new install for the LABC, so in "box b" where it says "reason for producing this report" I was gonna put, "at the customers request, to check for safety and comformatty" (obviously spelt right), what have you guys put when doing one for the LABC? All ideas and thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Jay

Last edited:
Not happened to me but I would have no problem putting "Customer request for Building control." Is BC asking for a full EICR for the circuits that have changed or been added or for the whole house?

Put for 'Customer and LABC request'!
Yep I agree dont get in too deep this is the standard route for the LABC if they cannot get the originator to sign off the job so the owner has to get a 3rd party you to do an EICR on the whole house but a word of warning the customer will feel why not just check and test the extension but the LABC man wants the whole house checked to cover his tail. So whats the catch well remember to warn the customer that although the extension may pass the house may fail (better to prep them first)

Had a fair bit of this, quoted it, not got it then a year later 'we need it testing'.

Just make sure you are clear on the report. Why, what, how old etc.
And it should comply with regs when installed.

From my experience, most of them are unsatisfactory. Normally the new stuff is worse than existing.
I guess that's why it's cheaper lol

Not happened to me but I would have no problem putting "Customer request for Building control." Is BC asking for a full EICR for the circuits that have changed or been added or for the whole house?

Yeah the BC just want the work that has been done to be I&T, so just new cu, 1x light circuit, 1x sockets circuit and smoke circuit, so should be straight forward, although there may be alot of spur marks and horse shoe prints about, so you never know. Hopefully there will be some remmy work for me to do as well. Thanks for you ideas guys.

Jay

Why no do it in two parts, one for the new CU and another for rest of house including new CU, that way the customer gets the benefit of all his stuff being checked over - while your there and all - i would be tempted

Its getting the customer to pay for a full house EICR. He has already been stiffed by the other so called sparkys. But I will suggest getting a full one done but if he doesnt need one he prob wont want to pay for one.

Jay

Id be tempted to make a quick visual of the whole istalation if he does not want to pay for it, Then do the normal tests as per the second Db and IR L&N - Earth. At the end of the day if you have code 1/2 is going to result in a unsatasfactory and as a result BC will want it dealt with in order to safisfy them.

People think save money as the time, However after your costs of EICR and remedial action and disruption.. Might as well just had it done correct from the start.. You know how it is!

Reply to Reason for theEICR???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock