Discuss Rec room/man cave recessed lighting help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

demoso

DIY
Reaction score
I just bought a house which has a rec room with recessing lighting. I put some pics below. It has 11 120v MR16 GU10 circle recessed light cups. All the bulbs were 50W Halogen bulbs and they were controlled by a single toggle dimmer switch. The first thing I did was to replace the the toggle switch with a Wemo WiFi smart dimmer switch F7C059. Everthing worked fine and I was able to dim the lights all way down to barely being on. Which is what I want to give it the movie theater atmosphere. Now I wanted to replace the Halogens with LED bulbs since the Halogens run so hot and because the LEDs will be a lot cheaper to run. My problem is I can't seem to find an LED bulb that will work correctly. I've tried 5 different bulbs and either they won't dim all the way down. They only dim to say 10 or 15% which is still way to bright or the ones that do dim all the way down when I have them down to say 3-5% some of them will give a slight flicker from time to time which is annoying. I did fine one bulb that works perfectly the FEIT Electric 35W replacement 4.6w 120v 60hz 55ma model: BPMR16IFGU300930CA/3. The only problem is that this bulb is a 3000k and is to white. I want something in the 2700k warm spectrum. The other bulbs I tried are the amazon basics 75ma 7w 120v 3000k AB MR1650WE830SDIMGU10FR, the Maxlite 4.5w 120v 2700k .055A 60hz Model: MR16GUD27FL, the 90+ Authority 7w 120v 2700k 60hz 65ma model: SE-RL5.C102.1107G, and the Mastery Mart 120v 5.5w 2700k 50ma 60hz model: MM-LGU10D2710.
I would love any advice on what would be the best bulb and would work for what I want to do? I have found that I want 2700K and that the lower wattage less lumen bulbs 300-400 or 35W equivalent work better then the 500+lumen 50w equivalent bulbs. Can anyone recommend a good bulb that will work? Or should I consider buying a different Smart dimmer switch and if so what do you recommend?

Thanks for all your help!
Rec room/man cave recessed lighting help IMG_1390 - EletriciansForums.netRec room/man cave recessed lighting help IMG_1395 - EletriciansForums.netRec room/man cave recessed lighting help IMG_1593 - EletriciansForums.net

probably the dimmer is incompatible with LEDs. It's designed for a higher load and may well have too high a minimum load. I always get a dimmer from the same supplier as the LEDs. Often LEDs require a trailing edge dimmer as opposed to leading edge.
[automerge]1597652320[/automerge]
say you have 11 LEDs @ 5watts each. that's total 55watts. your existing dimmer probably is 60 - 600watts. you need a dimmer with a min. load <55watts.

Last edited:

Reply to Rec room/man cave recessed lighting help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock