Discuss REC switch and meter seals... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piemme

Hello everyone, I would like some advice regarding some work that a contractor has performed on my flat.

I live in a block of flats where major works are taking place. Some of the major works have involved the rewiring of the electrical supply from the road up to the electricity meter in the individual flats (via an external electrical cabinet) As a part of that:

- the seal on the meter was broken (as you'd expect)
- a REC 100A switch was installed between the grid and my meter rather than between the meter and the consumer unit.

See pictures here to understand what I am talking about:

https://sdds.de.quickconnect.to/direct/photo/share/BAiiTIuO (I can't seem to be able to create a proper link so please copy/paste!)

(edit, photo added) IMG_20151214_121131107.jpg

This arrangement looked wrong to me as they are essentially installing something that would theoretically allow me to steal free electricity, and I am afraid I might end up in trouble just for the fact of having such a circuit in my flat. When I question this with the contractors I got this answer:

"All works have been carried out before the meter and in line with UKPN guidelines and under the BNO (building network operator) there is a full document on this that UKPN was in with the specification. UKPN and the energy supplier would not be interested in this [lack of seal] as its the responsibility of the BNO. The supplier can reseal the meter on there next inspection / visit. The installation of the REC switch before the meter is now required within the UKPN document."

I have managed to find the document they may be referring to, and it seems to be including a diagram that represents the current installation (page 15):
https://library.ukpowernetworks.co....0118+Supplies+to+Multi-occupied+buildings.pdf

The questions I have are:

- are the contractors right that this arrangement is correct as it seems to be the one shown in the UKPN document?
- whose responsibility is to put new seals on meter and switch? The BNO? The energy supplier?

Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

what is at the other end the head end. do you have a switch fuse that end or is there a Ryefiled panel or similar does this have a switch or fused dis-connector ?
as above could have used a RED link cutout & would have looked a bit neater.

Hello everyone, I would like some advice regarding some work that a contractor has performed on my flat.

I live in a block of flats where major works are taking place. Some of the major works have involved the rewiring of the electrical supply from the road up to the electricity meter in the individual flats (via an external electrical cabinet) As a part of that:

- the seal on the meter was broken (as you'd expect)
- a REC 100A switch was installed between the grid and my meter rather than between the meter and the consumer unit.

See pictures here to understand what I am talking about:

https://sdds.de.quickconnect.to/direct/photo/share/BAiiTIuO (I can't seem to be able to create a proper link so please copy/paste!)

(edit, photo added) View attachment 30997

This arrangement looked wrong to me as they are essentially installing something that would theoretically allow me to steal free electricity, and I am afraid I might end up in trouble just for the fact of having such a circuit in my flat. When I question this with the contractors I got this answer:
"All works have been carried out before the meter and in line with UKPN guidelines and under the BNO (building network operator) there is a full document on this that UKPN was in with the specification. UKPN and the energy supplier would not be interested in this [lack of seal] as its the responsibility of the BNO. The supplier can reseal the meter on there next inspection / visit. The installation of the REC switch before the meter is now required within the UKPN document."

I have managed to find the document they may be referring to, and it seems to be including a diagram that represents the current installation (page 15):
https://library.ukpowernetworks.co....0118+Supplies+to+Multi-occupied+buildings.pdf

The questions I have are:

- are the contractors right that this arrangement is correct as it seems to be the one shown in the UKPN document?
- whose responsibility is to put new seals on meter and switch? The BNO? The energy supplier?

Thank you very much

Looks to me that they have upgraded the lacturals as the old ones must have been damaged or IR is poor so they upgrade them.

1st thats 3 core armoured cable pretty sure there is a ryfield board somewhere. It looks to me the op has a skeleton board fitted. A bit strange they went into isolator 1st instead of meter should be other way round.
as for the meter seals, i wouldnt worry to much to much about it.

Last edited:
Can't see anything wrong apart from the seals removed. As stated, the DP iso has been installed instead of a Red-linked service head. Fusing will be in the communal electrical cupboard.

You need to contact the REC to put that right ...

I ran estates on Riser renewals and some of the agency guys would do all sorts when your back was turned ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really have a look at that pic again please?

What? its all rough and I don't particularly like the exposed singles in the mantel and what looks like over sleeved swa (could be split-con actually) cores into the isolator.

The OP's question is whether the use of a DP isolator is permitted. Looking at the information provided I see no reason why it could not, although the consensus is usually to provide a red-linked cut-out for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
What? its all rough and I don't particularly like the exposed singles in the mantel and what looks like over sleeved swa (could be split-con actually) cores into the isolator.

The OP's question is whether the use of a DP isolator is permitted. Looking at the information provided I see no reason why it could not, although the consensus is usually to provide a red-linked cut-out for obvious reasons.

op is asking wether the isolator should fitted before the meter or after the meter. Also the dp isolator is upside down.

op is asking wether the isolator should fitted before the meter or after the meter. Also the dp isolator is upside down.

With reference to the UKPN document provided in this thread yes it can. The isolator is property of the BNO not the consumer and thus provided as per MOCOPA regs to allow meter operatives to safety repair/replace meter.

Just like this

WYREC2SA.JPG

Reply to REC switch and meter seals... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net