Discuss Recessed Lighting Bulb Change in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Philip Woods

I've attached a picture of a recessed ceiling light.
I can't get the fitting out of the ceiling to change the bulb.
Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Phil

lightbulb.jpg

Yeh get the suction device to put on it to turn and pull. Oh yeh and take the metal ring out first should just drop out. In fact isolate the circuit FIRST

As above.
You do not take the whole thing out of the ceiling.
Release the metal retaining clip and the lamp should just drop down, on its connecting wire.

Simples!

Aah, I didn't realise it was that simple!
I've removed the bulb and I'll buy a replacement and see whether it works.
Thanks all!
Make sure the light is turned off when you change it as they get very hot very quicky , also make sure you get the correct bulb, take your old one with you to the shop, if its the bulb with to thin pins then it will be 12 volt,
ps to fellow sparks I know there called lamps im just using the term bulb so as not to confuse phillip:)

If the two pins on the old bulb are dull, tarnished or look like they've been hot then replace the lamp holder as well.

I'm guessing the existing one looks like one of these;
1.jpg 2.jpg

If it does need replacing try to find one that looks like this because they tend to be make better contact.
3.jpg

I bought some replacements, which are 12V 50W, same as the original.
I've tried two of the replacements, and neither lit up.
None of the four lights in the bathroom light up, so it could be a problem with the wiring in the room.
Do you think there are any other things I can try, or would it be best just to call an electrician to take a look?

Edit: The pins on the old bulb look fine to me.

depending on how it's been installed, each lamp could have it's own transformer or there could be a larger output tx. for all of them. probable cause is transformer failure or burnt out terminations. now is the time to convert to GU10 LEDs. half a day's work for an electrician: outlay will be recovered on cost savings on your leccy bill.

Yes as tele says probley worth getting them change for new led , the transformers could have pack up , you will have 1 at each light or one large one for all 4 lights , it could also be a faulty light switch , but im afraid the only way to find out is to call an electrician

Of course we care! Glad that you got it sorted - we'll miss you now that you don't have any electrical faults though not so much as to wish any upon you just for your return! If you get my gist!?

I've attached a picture of a recessed ceiling light.
I can't get the fitting out of the ceiling to change the bulb.
Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Phil

View attachment 36647
If you need to change a recessed light bulb, the first thing you'll need to do is locate the fitting. Once you've found the fitting, gently twist it counterclockwise until it comes loose from the ceiling. Then, simply pull the fitting out of the socket and change the bulb. Be sure to dispose of the old bulb properly.

If you need to change a recessed light bulb, the first thing you'll need to do is locate the fitting. Once you've found the fitting, gently twist it counterclockwise until it comes loose from the ceiling. Then, simply pull the fitting out of the socket and change the bulb. Be sure to dispose of the old bulb properly.
he said it was the switch. the new one's probably failed as well by now, 5 years down the line.

Reply to Recessed Lighting Bulb Change in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net