Discuss Recession? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkz

How long do you think its going to take till everything is back to normal? As we all know the housing market not great at the moment and they hardly building any houses. Iv been off work nearly 3 months and cant find work. My last resort flipping burgers at Mc Dees. :(. Anyone else out there whose been effected?

Last edited by a moderator:
my workload has been slightly effected but seems to be picking up again so just keeping my fingers crossed for now.i am however having to price jobs quite competitively but still making a decent living out of it.allso have switched suppliers.

Not noticed it personally. My workload has actually increased and I am charging more than ever. Having said that, my house value has depreciated:(

Same as Cirrus, more work than norrmal clients seem to be spending more on there houses rather than moving. My house is moving!! "down in price"

It's very quiet where I'm working. Last week and this have been the worst so far. Several of the guy's are on a short week anyway, but the boss has told us that he is having trouble finding enough work to keep us all ticking over. I don't think it's going to be long before I'll be getting made redundant. Being the apprentice I'm going to be the first to go! - Which somewhat screws things up for me, no job no apprenticeship! Not good times

David:(

No. Your cheep in the money stakes and keen to learn. So they will bin the least productive expensive chap. Hope all goes well.
Mike

Sorry to say but with redundancy there is a protocol to follow which includes last in first out, sickness, etc etc. Fingers crossed you will be ok.

last in first out isnt the case any more, the company needs to be seen to do what they can to reduce the risk first. so if people are all on overtime they need to bring it down to 37.5 hours a week, they also need to look at everyones performance, reliability etc, like a yearly appraisal type thing.

if they dont do this and mor ethen they are in big trouble!

Sparkz, i started a thread with a load of agencie numbers on, give them all a call and register with them. even the ones that are no where near where you live as they all have work all over the place.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ecruitment-agency-numbers-here.html#post19984

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate your help fella. Iv got a interview next week for Evans Cycles!

I think its clear from peoples responses that the credit crunch is hitting different people in different ways and in different locations! I work in a engineering consultancy and we are over run with work and just got a HUGE new project in canary wharf (mind you, it is for JPMorgan Chase so you never know what’s going to happen with these large banks!) but on the other hand a friend of mine works for a consultancy just down the road and is being made redundant! his firm are laying of 30% of there work force!!! and it is a large consultancy having over 200 staff... so I think it just comes down to how stable the company you work for is...

Good Luck Every One!

Since the massive centralization of power and money that has arrived by robbery,I'm on the verge of signing on!! But before anyone who tells me I'm a leech on society,had better be paying their mortgage/creditcard/loans on time!! Now that every default is at the cost of """""THE TAX PAYER""""" Its a pity they've already spent the interest we owe them through lending it again or buying toxic assets!

On a lighter note, I've been making some home brew wine!!If your a fan of wine?Steer clear and leave it to the professionals!!

Peace and Love Peace and Love dont ask me to sign anything after the 22nd of october Peace and Love!!!

Cheers montybaber, we've gone from having 5-6 sites down to 1 in two weeks times as company has been under cut drastically when the others were up for renewing. hard times indeed.

Stopped advertising for 2 weeks as last 4 weeks had nothing from local paper! (usually get 4 calls)- Luckily im cheap so every customer has more work done. Found local carpenter with contacts and have been passing leads to him and visa versa -also his plumber has joined in sharing leads so workload increasing.... Cold called a new shop opening soon and got the electrics plumbing and carpentry work for us before she gets other quotes. - Now need 'mate' to keep up with this and another full shop install. - going to try advertising mentioning something like christmas tree electrics installed ( had work already for trees this week). Employer locally laid off 5 sparks of 9 workers last week so contractors being hit here. Seeing loads of house improving going on rather than moving home.... - Glad wife earns most of money as i would starve otherwise

The firm I worked for in Bristol, up until last week that is, has been laying off. Just not enough work to keep the electricians going, let alone the mates and myself the apprentice. Doesn't seem to be any chance of finding another firm to carry on apprenticeship with, so after four weeks the college sling me off the apprenticeship program. - Certainly looks like my plans of becoming an electrician are well and truly dead in the water!

Found out definatly today as of next week another 15 sparks to be laid off from our company, me included. pretty **** but hopefully something will turn up even tho theres not much about at the mo.

Reply to Recession? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock