Discuss Recomend me a voltstick in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Sivoodoo

There are cheap and cheerful volt sticks out there. I think with anything to do with test equipment you need to spend a bit of money and get good gear. I think the going rate for a good one is somewhere in the region £11 - 16.

Fluke do a good one, it's a little LED torch as well as a volt stick. When you get near to anything live it lights up blue, then turns red when at the point of source. - I've had one of these for about 8 months now no problem, but must admit have misplaced it a week ago. I would like to find it soon, so I can get a bit more use out of it in the next 3 weeks before I leave the world of electrical, for the world of, "Would you like fries with that?"

David

Thanks for that, oh and no fries please just a burger, yes its looking grim!

It's a "Fluke LVD2 Voltage Detector" and cost me £17.65 - And no I haven't found the bloody thing to get that information off it, just the receipt!

Oww, perhaps my luck's changing. I just found my fluke volt stick. - I'm not saying where I found it after all that, far too embarrassing.

Still, while I'm having this mini run of good luck, someone offer me a job so I can continue with my apprenticeship. - Just think you could have an apprentice that comes with own volt stick!!

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point, as you will need a neutral.

At the end of the day, if you are isolating and are unsure, then shut down the whole installation via the main switch.

Safe isolation is the key.

Hi guys, your thoughts, are they all the same or are some dodgy/better than others.
Thanks
Si.

I have had one these MK ones for at least a couple of years and have found it to be very handing purely just to detect a voltage. Bleeps louder nearer the source, flashes and has a sensitivity slider on the side.

Power Trace

Only downside and I think it is the same with all of them that they will pick up a voltage anywhere i.e. the cable you are checking maybe dead, but if there is a cable behind it live then you will get a reading. I think it is the idea for the slider on this MK one.

I do also have the fluke one which I must admit tend to use more for the torch function. Either are handy bits of kit.

Warren

Hi mate bought a fluke volt stick from CEF about 1 yearago had to change the batts last week they are very hard wearing a good choice n my book

Ive actually got a cheapo one from toolstation, its ok at but a bit flimsy...
and sometimes i dont believe it! e.g. its range is 50 - 1000V ac, but when I point it to my laptop screen it illuminates and beeps??? WTF?? why?? can anyone explain?
Another strange thing is that if you hold it in your tightened fist and open and close your hand quickly it illuminates briefely (its not a loose conection) are my muscles really producing this voltage? AC? weird?

Rub it rapidly up and down against your jumper. It'll light then too. These are useful tools but be aware that they are not perfect. Never rely on one of these to save your life, always confirm with a proper voltage meter.

Ive actually got a cheapo one from toolstation, its ok at but a bit flimsy...
and sometimes i dont believe it! e.g. its range is 50 - 1000V ac, but when I point it to my laptop screen it illuminates and beeps??? WTF?? why?? can anyone explain?
Another strange thing is that if you hold it in your tightened fist and open and close your hand quickly it illuminates briefely (its not a loose conection) are my muscles really producing this voltage? AC? weird?

The MEGGER volt sticks also do this, which i why i dont rate them.

The fluke stick however DOESNT so i recommend the fluke for a more accurate reading.

I bought an MK one but i dont use it very often even though always carry it, it's good for showing if voltage is there, but i'd never trust it to prove that voltage is NOT there

martin dale voltage indicators are much better in my opinion, and they don't rely on batteries which i think is a big issue

Reply to Recomend me a voltstick in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock